[News] Roundups of Applications for GNU/Linux, Including Some for Children

  • Subject: [News] Roundups of Applications for GNU/Linux, Including Some for Children
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 17:40:03 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

A Roundup on Microblogging Clients

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest buzz in social networking is
| microbloggingâthe next generation of
| blogging where people share their status,
| images, audio and video files with their
| friends without being verbose. When you
| microblog, you answer one simple question:
| âWhatâs happening?â
`----

http://www.linuxforu.com/news/a-roundup-on-microblogging-clients/

Transmission 2.0 BitTorrent Client released

,----[ Quote ]
| The popular open-source BitTorrent client
| Transmission has updated to version 2.0,
| bringing with it several bugs fixes found
| in the previous 1.93 release, improvements
| and new features.
|
| New features introduced in Transmission
| 2.0 include; âLocal Peer Discoveryâ for
| finding peers on a users local network,
| better handling of 404 tracker errors,
| smarter heuristics when deciding the order
| to connect to peers, and support more
| blocklist file formats.
`----

http://www.kabatology.com/06/16/transmission-2-0-bittorrent-client-released/

Nice fallbacks

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a kernel upgrade today, so I
| updated everything and rebooted. Upon
| reboot I found that xorg failed to start.
| Luckily I have screen, mutt, elinks,
| irssi, wget and a few other CLI apps
| installed to get things done in case xorg
| breaks.
`----

http://ardchoille42.blogspot.com/2010/06/nice-fallbacks.html

SparkleShare: An Open Source Dropbox Alternative Coming Soon

http://www.blogsdna.com/10905/sparkleshare-an-open-source-dropbox-alternative-coming-soon.htm

More Free and Open Source Video Editors for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Free and Open Source Video Editors for
| Linux: I've shared with you a list of free
| and open source video editing software
| before, and noticed that there are other
| excellent video editors for Linux that I
| failed to mention. So today, I would like
| to feature some more video editing
| software, which are all capable of
| handling video sequence editing and
| provide tools for trimming, colour
| manipulation, titling, visual effects,
| splicing, cutting and arranging clips
| across the timeline among others.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2010/06/more-free-and-open-source-video-editors.html

Binary portability in Linux

http://nicolasb.com.ar/2010/06/binary-portability-in-linux/

5 Best Linux Software Packages for Kids

,----[ Quote ]
| Even when computers were first being
| introduced, engineers realized how useful
| they could be to teach children. There
| have been multiple games and even entire
| programming languages developed
| specifically for kids. Linuxâs developer-
| friendly tendencies have made it an
| obvious choice as a platform to create
| software for children, and its security
| and stability leave little chance for them
| to break anything while learning. Today
| weâve gathered together some of the best
| Linux software applications for kids, from
| simple games for toddlers to programming
| puzzles for the older kids.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/5-best-linux-software-packages-for-kids/2010/06/15

AWN 4 is fine