[News] Call for Greater OSI-FSF Cooperation, GNU Social

  • Subject: [News] Call for Greater OSI-FSF Cooperation, GNU Social
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:31:51 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

"Life of Brian" Played Out In Community

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the frustrations of being a
| software freedom advocate is how many of
| the attacks that are made on me come from
| people who most observers would consider
| to be "fighting for the same side". My
| recent call for volunteers to work on
| revamping the Open Source Initiative
| (OSI) is a case in point. Of the public
| comments I've read, the majority berate me
| for daring to be positive about OSI rather
| than castigating it in favor of the Free
| Software Foundation (FSF) as they
| themselves do. (Fortunately the private e-
| mails are much more encouraging). But it's
| not just a tension between OSI and FSF.
| For example, in one forum where I
| mentioned my membership card for the Free
| Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) had
| arrived, one reply asked if I would also
| be joining the FSF. Software freedom
| arouses extreme passions among its
| adherents.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=41&entryid=3021&RSS

FSF to host GNU social architecture meeting

,----[ Quote ]
| Tomorrow at its Boston offices the Free
| Software Foundation will host the first in
| a series of GNU social architecture
| meetings. Confirmed attendees include
| several GNU social developers, OAuth
| developer Blaine Cook and Evan Prodromou
| from StatusNet.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/fsf-to-host-gnu-social-architecture-meeting

GNU social: next steps

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/gnu-social-next-steps

Recent:

FSF Advocates Free Software for U.S. IPEC Joint Strategic Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation (FSF) has
| responded to the United States executive
| "Intellectual Property" Enforcement
| Coordinator (IPEC) Joint Strategic Plan.
|
| The FSF argues that the government should
| use free software to provide more freedom
| and transparency to its constituents and
| reduce the need to engage in costly
| copyright enforcement activities on behalf
| of proprietary software companies. The FSF
| states that "the most egregious harms to
| the public interest in the areas of
| copyright and patents come not from a lack
| of enforcement, but from extraordinarily
| excessive enforcement."
`----

http://www.fsf.org/news/fsf-advocates-free-software-for-u.s.-ipec-joint-strategic-plan

GNU Generation 2.0