[News] Free Software Wins in Government, Healthcare

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Wins in Government, Healthcare
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:33:10 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source Software Gaining Acceptance (Opinion)

,----[ Quote ]
| In Inc.'s January 2005 article Open
| Source: It's Not Just for Geeks Anymore!,
| Al Canton wrote: "No one is quite sure how
| to define fire, but everyone knows what it
| is. Open source software is the same. Like
| fire, we know what open source does, we
| know what open source looks like, and we
| know it when we see it, but no one agrees
| on a definition."
`----

http://www.govtech.com/gt/765252?topic=117671

Brazil and India: The Next Generation of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| India is a heavy user of open source.
| Sectors leveraging open source include
| software development outsourcing, business
| process outsourcing, government services,
| technical education as well as industries
| such as banking, insurance, manufacturing,
| oil and gas, defense and space. According
| to Wikipedia, India produces 2.5 million
| graduates every year from which only a
| small percentage, about 700,000 people are
| employed by India's BPO industry. The BPO
| industry which has flourished on cheap,
| skilled labor has started to leverage open
| source software based automation to gain
| further cost advantages.
|
| Brazil
|
| Brazil has also been a hotbed of open
| source activity in recent years.
| Government agencies, private industry,
| universities have been teaching and
| implementing open source solutions to
| create local centers of knowledge and gain
| expertise around open source in the
| country. Seeing India's success in IT
| outsourcing, Brazil has also declared an
| interest in using open source to gain
| leadership in the market of software
| development outsourcing.
`----

http://opensource.org/node/528

Halamka: Open standards are 'key to interoperability'

,----[ Quote ]
| At the Opensource.com Open Your World
| Forum on May 27, John D. Halamka, MD, CIO
| of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
| and CIO of Harvard Medical School,
| described where open source and open
| standards  fit into the ARRA expectations
| for healthcare IT. The short answer is,
| everywhere.
|
| âWe run a data center with a couple of
| petabytes of healthcare data for three
| million patients and the entire
| infrastructure is run on Red Hat
| technologies,â Halamka said. âWe have
| multiple data centers, multiple clusters
| of Linux servers and we havenât had
| downtime in a couple of years. No CIO in
| healthcare is afraid of open source. In
| fact, the movement to Linux clusters that
| are highly reliable for healthcare is the
| way the back end in most healthcare data
| centers seem to be going.
`----

http://www.cmio.net/index.php?option=com_articles&view=portal&id=publication:56:article:22733:halamka-open-standards-are-key-to-interoperability&division=cmio

Recent: