[News] Old PCs Need GNU/Linux, New Examples Presented

  • Subject: [News] Old PCs Need GNU/Linux, New Examples Presented
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 11:51:18 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

"Smart Reuse With Open Source"

,----[ Quote ]
| Fosdick points out that with Linux, computers
| up to ten years old (basically Pentium III or
| better) are reusable. Microsoft's difficult and
| expensive refurbisher program can only reuse
| computers up to about five years old.
`----

http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/news.php?item.583.10

Where in the world?

,----[ Quote ]
| Time for a fresh install of Linux! If only I
| had remembered to pack an installation CD along
| with my jim-jams and toothbrushâ My Dadâs PC is
| so old, it doesnât have a CD burner, nor does
| it boot from a USB stick.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/web-design-and-foss-10004587/where-in-the-world-10016127/

Recent:

Donate Your Old Hardware

http://www.system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=42

Linux Free Operating Systems â Ubuntu, Debian, Mandriva Installations on an Old PC

,----[ Quote ]
| For a long time I have always heard of Linux
| the free operating system, and have enjoyed
| many of the free applications that have been
| ported over to the Windows platform. I
| finally had a opportunity to take some
| antique computers and install Linux onto
| them, and found out how simple and sometimes
| complicated it can be to get up and running
| with it.
|
| Linux really took hold when web hosting SQL
| servers and HTTP hosting applications saved
| companies thousands of dollars from paying
| the Microsoft and Oracle corporations
| connection fees that could easily going into
| the thousands of dollars. So instead running
| a linux server to serve up their databases
| made much more economic sense and that is
| why there has been a insurgence of the free
| operating system over the last years.
`----

http://www.bestsyndication.com/?q=20100301_installing_free_linux_operating_system_ubuntu_debian_mandriva_fedora_on_an_old_pc.htm

Should I give my old PC to a charity or school, or reuse it?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/oct/14/old-computer-you-decide