[News] Open innovation and Capitalism Need Software Freedom

  • Subject: [News] Open innovation and Capitalism Need Software Freedom
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 13:24 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

TransferSummit - Open innovation in software means Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source projects are very probably the best
| way to efficiently bring software experts
| together today. Industry associations and
| interest groups might fulfil that role in other
| industries, but developers like to express
| themselves in code, and open source projects
| are where that happens today.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/TransferSummit-Open-innovation-in-software-means-Open-Source-1022212.html

Open Source: The Capitalists' Choice

,----[ Quote ]
| I often hear people referring to Open Source
| and Free Software advocates jokingly, or not so
| jokingly, as "communists" or "hippies". After
| all, giving away your "intellectual property"
| for the greater good may be a nice theory in
| some ideal world, but it rather flies in the
| face of capitalism, doesn't it?
`----

http://www.siriusit.co.uk/blogs/16-jun-2010/open-source-capitalists-choice

Recent:

Innovation, information technology and the culture of freedom

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source is not necessarily anti-
| capÃtalist. There are many capitalist firms,
| including very large corporate firms that
| practice open source. But it is a-capitalist,
| meaning that Open Source is compatible with
| different social logics and values. It does
| not need the incentive of profit to work, and
| does not rely on the private appropriation of
| the exclusive right to use and enjoy the
| product. It is based on a form of social
| organization that has profound political
| implications and may affect the way we think
| about the need to preserve capitalist
| institutions and hierarchies of production to
| manage the requirements of a complex world.
`----

http://www.choike.org/nuevo_eng/informes/2623.html

Apache Ready to Unleash Another Decade of Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Apache-Ready-to-Unleash-Another-Decade-of-Innovation-139452/