[News] Displeasure of Being Stock With Non-Free Software; Network Security Tools That Are Free

  • Subject: [News] Displeasure of Being Stock With Non-Free Software; Network Security Tools That Are Free
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 13:24:57 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Being locked in with proprietary software

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why I greatly prefer open source
| software. It is completely free as in
| freedom, and we can use it anonymously and
| that's just OK with everybody. I don't like
| giving away lots of details to vendors about
| any of my hardware/software. Many times,
| they don't need to know anything more than
| the simple fact that you've paid them money,
| and you own their product.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/the-open-source-revolution-10014902/being-locked-in-with-proprietary-software-10016130/

Network Security: Three open-source options

,----[ Quote ]
| Free and open-source software (FOSS) is
| everywhere. Its offerings span far and wide
| in the technology industry. The networking
| space is an excellent example of FOSS, with
| feature-packed firewalls, routers, VPNs and
| even UTMs, for nearly every need. In this
| article I will introduce you to a few of the
| commercially-supported open-source network
| security options currently available in the
| marketplace today. With open-source
| networking you can enjoy the benefits of
| lower costs, greater security, flexibility,
| extensibility and full enterprise support.
| Here are three examples.
`----

http://www.csoonline.com/article/597063/network-security-three-open-source-options

credativ, LLC and Forest Informatics, Inc. Announce Partnership, Training for Open Source Geospatial Database Analytics, Potential for Massive Cost Savings

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/press/cost-savings,1345100.html