[News] More Funding for Open Source, Finance Ideas

  • Subject: [News] More Funding for Open Source, Finance Ideas
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 14:03:40 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Appcelerator raises $2.1M to build apps on multiple devices

,----[ Quote ]
| Appcelerator, the maker of an open source
| platform for building desktop and smartphone
| applications, has raised $2.1 million in new
| funding.
`----

http://mobile.venturebeat.com/2010/06/11/appcelerator-raises-2-1m-to-build-apps-on-multiple-devices/

Consona Corporation Acquires Open-Source and Cloud ERP Software Provider Compiere Inc.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/Consona_Corporation/Compiere/prweb4151854.htm

How to Make Money on Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| We are big fans of the open source software
| movement. We believe that free and open
| software opens up markets and new
| capabilities much more quickly than closed
| and expensive software products. In the
| comments to my post on another open source
| effort we are funding, MongoDB, there was a
| discussion about why a VC firm would want to
| invest in free and open software. In that
| discussion, I explained that there are a
| number of ways to make money with open
| source software. The most obvious one is the
| âRed Hatâ model of building a services and
| support business on top of the open source
| software. Red Hat has revenues of almost
| $600mm per year and boasts a public market
| valuation of over $5bn. MySQL, which also
| used that approach, sold to Sun for $1bn.
`----

http://thefastertimes.com/venturecapital/2010/06/16/how-to-make-money-on-open-source-software/

Open Source VAT software, would you risk it?

,----[ Quote ]
| There's a good deal of debate in technology
| circles these days as to what point level
| source software, or indeed free and open
| source software, can fulfil our needs -
| especially when business gets mission
| critical. For individuals, mission critical
| status comes along when it comes to our
| health, our family, our house and our money
| so Tax and VAT certainly come within radius.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/open-source-insider/2010/06/open-source-tax-vat-software---would-you-risk-it.html

Recent:

A challenge to alter Open Source landscape

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.hindu.com/2010/04/11/stories/2010041153261500.htm