[News] EU Government Success Stories With Free Software, Odd Case in Norway

  • Subject: [News] EU Government Success Stories With Free Software, Odd Case in Norway
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 14:18:33 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

'Over seventy cases studies on OSOR just the beginning'

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Union's Open Source Observatory
| and Repository (OSOR.eu) has so far
| published 72 case studies. It's most recent
| one, on the OSOR itself, was published last
| week.
|
| The case study, "OSOR: The more they know
| the more they share, Introducing Open Source
| Software communities to Europe's public
| sector', concludes the first phase of the
| project but the European Commission is about
| to organise OSOR's continuation.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/over-seventy-cases-studies-on-osor-just-the-beginning

Norwegian Free Software Center Opposes Government Pro-FOSS Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| I may be missing something, but it looks to
| me as though the Norwegian Free Software
| Center is not only abandoning its mandate,
| but working against it. There is no evidence
| to justify crying conspiracy, and no doubt
| Gundersen and Austlid are sincere, yet you
| have to wonder how they could argue against
| the very cause they are supposed to promote.
|
| However, that is not the reason that I have
| spent time discussing their argument. With
| all respect, Norway is a single small
| country, and, living halfway around the
| world from it, I am unlikely to be affected
| much by what happens there.
|
| All the same, Gundersen and Austlid's
| arguments are worth examining for their own
| sake. One day, those of us outside Norway
| may be lucky enough to hear our own federal,
| provincial or city governments propose pro-
| free software policies. If we do, then we
| will undoubtedly hear similar arguments
| against the policies, and need to start
| thinking about how to debunk them.
|
| Unless I am mistaken, though, the only
| difference will be that the counter
| arguments that we hear will most likely come
| from the critics and enemies of free
| software -- not those who are supposed to
| support it.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Off-the-Beat-Bruce-Byfield-s-Blog/Norwegian-Free-Software-Center-Opposes-Government-Pro-FOSS-Policy

Recent:

Vancouver councillor proposes open IT standards

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.gpmag.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=334