[News] FOSSology Monetises Licensing Fear With Free Software, Not Proprietary Like Black Duck; New Journal on Open Source Software Law

  • Subject: [News] FOSSology Monetises Licensing Fear With Free Software, Not Proprietary Like Black Duck; New Journal on Open Source Software Law
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 14:16:42 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Black Duck Software vs the FOSSology project

,----[ Quote ]
| 2) Black Duck is a commercial product sold on
| an annual subscription basis under a commercial
| license.  FOSSology is a OSS project released
| under GPLv2.
`----

https://fossbazaar.org/content/black-duck-software-vs-fossology-project

Publication Of Third Issue - International Free And Open Source Software Law Review

,----[ Quote ]
| The Editorial Committee is delighted to
| announce issue three of the 'International Free
| and Open Source Software Law Review' (IFOSS L.
| Rev.) is now available. IFOSSL. Rev. is a peer-
| reviewed biannual legal review dedicated to
| analysis and debate around Free and Open Source
| Software legal issues.
`----

http://www.ifosslr.org/ifosslr/announcement/view/6

Related:

Welcome to the FOSSBazaar

,----[ Quote ]
| The origins of free software mean that resources for hackers abound,
| including those working in companies. But help for the other side of the
| equation â the managers of those coders and their code â is far thinner on
| the ground. That makes the creation of FOSSBazaar particularly welcome...
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=415&blogid=14

HP launches new open source initiatives

,----[ Quote ]
| Hewlett-Packard wants to provide support to businesses using open source
| software. In her keynote speech at the Open Source Meets Business (OSBM)
| conference organised by Heise-Verlag, taking place this week in Nuremberg,
| Christine Martino, the company's Vice President "Open Source and Linux
| Organisation" announced the release of FOSSology and the launch of the
| FOSSBazaar platform.
|
| The initiative makes use of HP's experiences and tools developed by HP in the
| course of its own use of open source software within the company and with its
| customers. FOSSology is a tool to allow developers and IT buyers to locate
| open source software within the enterprise to make it easier to implement
| tasks such as licence management. The agent based toolset can be downloaded
| under the GPLv2 from the project website.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102398/from/rss09

Big Debian Linux Payday For HP

,----[ Quote ]
| In fiscal 2006, $25 million in hardware sales in EMEA (Europe,
| Middle East and Africa) were directly related to HP's Debian
| support.
|
| "I was pretty shocked when I found out about this," Jeffrey
| Wade, worldwide marketing manager of open source and Linux at
| HP, told internetnews.com.

The Penguin comes in from the cold

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact, three months ago, Hewlett-Packard and Red Hat launched a
| pre-installed Linux desktop, the HP Compaq dx2250, in Australia.
|
| Aimed at small to medium businesses, the dx2250 comes pre-loaded with the Red
| Hat Enterprise Linux 5 desktop operating system.
|
| The desktop comes in myriad forms including AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core, AMD
| Athlon 64 and AMD Sempron processors, and prices start at $600.
|
| The machine is sold through HP's reseller network and Red Hat offers
| technical support.
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,22822516-24169,00.html

HP To Expand Effort On Linux PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Hewlett-Packard, the world's Number 1 PC maker, will try selling pre-loaded
| Linux on PCs in several countries as it expands a test program -- evaluating
| a market that some competitors have already entered -- as it moves its
| personal computer business into a new generation of form factors and
| functionality.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/201807523

HP offers peek at next-gen gadgets

,----[ Quote ]
| HP has unveiled some of the gadgets it is working on in its worldwide
| laboratories.
|
| [...]
|
| The e-book attracted most interest from delegates at the HP Mobility
| Summit in Shanghai. It uses touch sensitive strips on the base of
| the rectangular unit to select books and turn pages, runs a Linux
| OS and has a USB port to install new titles.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2189600/hp-plans-touchscreen-ebook

Q&A: HP exec says Linux Foundation wants to push OS toward common ground

,----[ Quote ]
| You didn't hear much about it in North America, but over the last six
| months or so, I'm personally hearing a lot more interest in Linux on the
| desktop. It's definitely a focus for the foundation. I think it's an area
| that is kind of a "watch this space" for the next couple [of] years.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9016294&source=rss_news10
http://tinyurl.com/ysjlye

Orbiting Debian: Interview with Bdale Garbee

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://tuxdeluxe.org/node/108