[News] Google Brings GNU/Linux to OEMs, TVs, More

  • Subject: [News] Google Brings GNU/Linux to OEMs, TVs, More
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:08:32 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google code hints at Chrome OS Dellbook

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like Dell will join Acer and HP in
| offering netbooks based on Google's Chrome OS
| sometime this fall.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/15/dell_nod_in_chromium_os_repository/

Google TV Finds its First Champion

,----[ Quote ]
| Analysis: Logitech's Google TV box named;
| expect it to control your life this fall.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/199325/google_tv_finds_its_first_champion.html?tk=rss_news

Chrome OS In Q4 - Is It Time to Bid External Storage Goodbye?

,----[ Quote ]
| When Chrome OS devices hit the stores late
| this year, users may have to start getting
| used to a web-centric mindset. Practically
| everything on their device will be running on
| the cloud. And with easily accessible Google
| Docs already accepting up to 1 GB storage for
| ANY kind of file, it would be difficult to
| resist storing and moving more files to the
| cloud as well.
`----

http://steamingopencup.blogspot.com/2010/06/chrome-os-in-q4-is-it-time-to-bid.html

Recent:

Dell joining Acer and HP in Chrome OS hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| A list of config files has been spotted
| within Chrome OS listing not only long-
| standing likely suspects Acer as hardware
| partners, but HP and Dell too.
|
| [...]
|
| According to Download Squad, a list of files
| within the .git repository, which look after
| Chrome's hardware support in the build
| process, indicate that the three hardware
| makers are advanced enough in their
| preparations to be specified in config
| files.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/624343/dell-joining-acer-and-hp-in-chrome-os-hardware-party

HP: The Linux distributor?

,----[ Quote ]
| Hardware companies don't tend to have their
| own Linux distributions. IBM uses Linux
| everywhere, but they don't have their own
| Linux. Dell will be happy to sell you
| notebooks and netbooks with Ubuntu or a
| workstation or server with RHEL (Red Hat
| Enterprise Linux). But, no major OEM
| (original equipment manufacturer) has had a
| house-brand Linux... until now.  HP has
| recently bought not one, but two Linux
| distributions.
|
| Surely HP is not getting into the Linux
| distribution business? Are they!?
|
| HP first acquired its own Linux distribution
| bough Palm to get its hand on webOS. For
| some reason, a lot of people seemed to think
| that Palm was still using its old
| proprietary operating system, Palm OS. Nope.
| WebOS has proprietary extensions but this
| mobile device OS with its Linux kernel heart
| has more in common with Android and MeeGo
| than it does with its proprietary fore-
| bearers.
|
| [...]
|
| The one thing I can't see HP doing though is
| releasing its Linux takes to other people as
| full Linux distributions. Instead, I see HP
| using its Linuxes to add value to their own
| offerings, not as something they'd sell,
| nevermind give away, to other vendors or
| users. HP will do what it needs to do to
| keep from running afoul of the GPL, but that
| will be it.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/16342/hp_the_linux_distributor

Android tablet army starts to form

,----[ Quote ]
| The Android tablets are coming and this time
| Apple wonât have a big head start. Will value
| tablets sell?
|
| Dellâs Streak (top right), a 5-inch tablet
| powered by Android, launched Tuesday in the
| U.K. and the device will come to the U.S.
| later in the summer. The Streak has
| integration with the Android market and a few
| other goodies that may attract buyers,
| according to Dell.
|
| Meanwhile, Pandigital has its Novel, another
| Android-powered device. The Novel (bottom
| right) is a 7-inch touchscreen device also
| powered by Android. Joel Evans calls the Novel
| a poor manâs iPad at $199.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/android-tablet-army-starts-to-form/34981

Declarations of OS Independence

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell and HP have recently made very strong
| declarations of OS independence from
| Microsoft. Take HP first.
|
| [...]
|
| At the sametime Dell has committed to the
| Android OS for both its Streak tablet and its
| lineup of new mobile phones. In sum, both
| vendors a)cant wait for Microsoft to get its
| mobile act together and b)the appeals of the
| customizing advantage of Android or self-owned
| webOS are too big to ignore.
`----

http://www.theopensourcery.com/keepopen/?p=2280

Dell launches Streak tablet PC across Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| PC giant Dell has joined the increasing
| number of firms offering a tablet device.
|
| The world's number three computer
| manufacturer says that its Streak - also
| known as the Mini 5 - is the first of a
| number of planned products.
|
| The Streak is smaller than most tablets
| with a 5in (12.5cm) screen and runs
| Google's Android operating system.

Dell Streak Tablet Gets Official June Launch Date

,----[ Quote ]
| The spec list on the Dell Streak is also
| deeply impressive, running the Open Source
| Android operating system and with a speedy
| 1GHz processor to help you get the very
| best out of it. Thereâs a 5-Megapixel
| camera on the back, and the 16GB of
| integrated memory can be expanded using
| microSD cards.
`----

http://experts.thelink.co.uk/2010/05/25/dell-streak-tablet-gets-official-june-launch-date/

Dell Unveils Plans for Tablet Computer

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell Inc. unveiled a touch-screen tablet
| computer called Streak, as the computing
| giant made its much-anticipated foray into
| the emerging tablet arena that has been
| pioneered by Apple Inc.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704026204575266212619773840.html?mod=rss_whats_news_us

Dell Enter Tablet Computer Market With Streak

http://www.freshbusinessthinking.com/news.php?CID=&NID=4852&Title=Dell+Enter+Tablet+Computer+Market+With+Streak

Dell taps Android, Snapdragon for mini tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell announced on Tuesday (May 25) its
| Streak, a five-inch tablet based on Google
| Android and Qualcomm's Snapdragon
| processor. An AT&T executive said the
| carrier will announce as many as ten
| Android systems for its network this year,
| but managers from Toshiba and Samsung were
| guarded in their support for ARM/Linux
| mobile systems.
`----

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=225200177

Dell taps Android, Snapdragon for mini tablet

http://eetimes.eu/en/dell-taps-android-snapdragon-for-mini-tablet.html?cmp_id=7&news_id=222902069&vID=209

Prepare for the onslaught of iPad competitors

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/175880,prepare-for-the-onslaught-of-ipad-competitors.aspx

HP Confirms Plans for webOS Slates, Web-Connected Printers

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the acquisition of Palm last
| month, Hewlett Packard (HP) wasted no time
| in scrapping its much hyped Windows 7-
| based Slate project, sparking speculation
| that HP would putting its newly acquired
| webOS platform to good use in a tablet
| form factor. Well, we don't have to
| speculate anymore.
`----

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/hp_confirms_plans_webos_slates_webconnected_printers

Dell CEO confirms Streak Android tablet for Europe next month

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Dell-CEO-confirms-Streak-Android-tablet-for-Europe-next-month-1000201.html