[News] Why Open Data is Important; Scribd Finds Out That Adobe Flash Was a Curse

  • Subject: [News] Why Open Data is Important; Scribd Finds Out That Adobe Flash Was a Curse
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 21:43:34 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Public Data are so good that it's hard to start explaining why

,----[ Quote ]
| Today I have participated to an international
| meeting in Madrid on the reuse of Public
| Sector Information. I came to gather as much
| information and food for thought as possible
| for my new research on Open Data for an Open
| Society and wasn't deluded.
`----

http://stop.zona-m.net/active-citizens/open-public-data-are-so-good-its-hard-start-explaining-why

Scribdâs Decision To Dump Flash Pays Off, User Engagement Triples

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the last few months, user engagement on
| Scribd has surged, according to CEO Trip
| Adler, thanks to its transition to HTML5, the
| introduction of the iPad, and Scribdâs
| Facebook integration. Of these three factors,
| Adler says the conversion from Flash to HTML5
| was by far the greatest driver for his
| document sharing company. According to
| Scribdâs numbers, time on the site has
| tripled in the last three months.
`----

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/19/scribds-decision-to-dump-flash-pays-off-user-engagement-triples/

Recent:

Tricky Sea Ice Predictions Call for Scientists to Open Their Data

,----[ Quote ]
| With sea ice levels in the Arctic at record
| lows this month, a new report comparing
| scientistsâ predictions calls for caution in
| over-interpreting a few weeks worth of data
| from the North Pole.
|
| The Sea Ice Outlook, which will be released
| this week, brings together more than a dozen
| teamsâ best guesses at how much sea ice will
| disappear by the end of the warm season in
| September. This year began with a surprise.
| More sea ice appeared than anticipated,
| nearing its mean level from 1979-2007. But
| then ice levels plummeted through May and
| into June. Scientists have never seen the
| Arctic with less ice at this time of year in
| the three decades theyâve been able to
| measure it, and they expect below average
| ice for the rest of the year.
`----

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/06/seaice_models/

The UKâs public data tsunami gathers speed

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://googlepolicyeurope.blogspot.com/2010/06/uks-public-data-tsunami-gathers-speed.html