[News] Open Access/Content Milestones, Going Mainstream

  • Subject: [News] Open Access/Content Milestones, Going Mainstream
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 21:45:07 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Access Science ?= Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| As a software engineer who works on open
| source scientific applications and
| frameworks, when I look at this, I scratch
| my head and wonder "why don't they just do
| the equivalent of a code review"? And
| that's really, where the germ of the idea
| behind this blog posting started. What if
| the scientific publishing process were
| more like an open source project? How
| would the need for peer-review be balanced
| with the need to publish? Who should bear
| the costs? Can a publishing model be
| created that minimizes bias and allows
| good ideas to emerge in the face of
| scientific groupthink?
`----

http://www.jroller.com/phidias/entry/open_access_science_open_source

Flickr, stock photography and Creative Commons

,----[ Quote ]
| This is where the ethical and practical
| implications take place. I am not really
| too concerned about the Getty collection,
| I really thing that this is a good
| development. However, I am concerned about
| the potential negative impact on the take-
| up of CC licences in Flickr. By stating
| clearly that any CC licensed picture will
| be only eligible for the cheaper royalty-
| free licensing option, Getty has created a
| disincentive to licence under Creative
| Commons. While I give the Flickr community
| enough credit not to answer the sirenâs
| call en masse, this could be a concern on
| the long run. We could have a two-tier
| Flickerverse of low-quality CC-licensed
| images, and high-quality content available
| only by paying fees to Getty.
`----

http://www.technollama.co.uk/flickr-stock-photography-and-creative-commons

21 Years of Open Access Publishing

,----[ Quote ]
| In August 1989, I began my scholarly
| digital publishing efforts, launching one
| of the first e-journals on the Internet,
| The Public-Access Computer Systems Review.
| This journal, if it was published today,
| would be called a "libre" open access
| journal since it was freely available,
| allowed authors to retain their
| copyrights, and had special copyright
| provisions for noncommercial use.
`----

http://digital-scholarship.org/digitalkoans/2010/06/20/21-years-of-open-access-publishing/

Recent:

Blind Students Get Free Access to Cambridge U. Press Books

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://chronicle.com/blogPost/Blind-Students-Get-Free-Access/24722/?sid=wc&utm_source=wc&utm_medium=en