[News] [Rival] Bill Gates Slammed for Taking Control of Schools With Microsoft

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Bill Gates Slammed for Taking Control of Schools With Microsoft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 22:34:10 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Obama's Right-Wing School Reform

,----[ Quote ]
| My sense is that it has a lot to do with
| the administrationâs connections to the
| Gates Foundation and the Broad Foundation.
| Although both are usually portrayed as
| liberal or at least Democratic, their
| funding priorities have merged with those
| of the very conservative Walton Family
| Foundation. I explain this curious power
| elite in a chapter of my book called âThe
| Billionaire Boys Club.â
`----

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2010/jun/10/obamas-right-wing-school-reform/

How time changes things

,----[ Quote ]
| And at one point the school received a
| major donation from the Gates Foundation,
| because a savvy parent who discovered that
| Bill Gates had attended View Ridge many
| years ago, and had used that as the basis
| for a successful appeal for a sizeable
| grant.  Teachers and parents were working
| together to make a better school.  Things
| were good, G-O-O-D,  good. HUNH!!!
`----

http://moesmisadventures.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-time-changes-things.html

Gates grant provides a boost to Hillsborough's teacher recruitment

,----[ Quote ]
| District officials say their $100 million
| Gates grant also is helping them figure
| out which places â education schools,
| states, or even regions â produce their
| most effective teachers.
|
| [...]
|
| Thanks to the Gates money, statistician
| James Goode will now work full time to
| analyze the performance of such new hires.
`----

http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/k12/gates-grant-provides-a-boost-to-hillsboroughs-teacher-recruitment/1103736

Strings attached:

Hillsborough schools considering two Gates grant hires

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jun/15/hillsborough-schools-considering-two-gates-grant-h/news-breaking/

It has a codename now, "Empowering Effective Teachers".

Pittsburgh Teachers, Schools Hail 5-Year Contract

,----[ Quote ]
| Called Empowering Effective Teachers, the
| plan was the basis for a proposal made
| last year to the Bill and Melinda Gates
| Foundation. The foundation approved the
| plan and has given the district $40
| million for efforts to improve teacher
| quality.
|
| The district and union worked on the Gates
| proposal together, and rolled that into
| contract talks.
`----

http://cbs3.com/wireapnewspa/Pittsburgh.teachers.schools.2.1752041.html

Public officials to discuss educational standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The Council of State Governments is
| assisting the effort, with financial
| support from the Bill & Melinda Gates
| Foundation.
`----

http://www.kpua.net/news.php?id=20274

Major Foundation Gets Set to Open a Charter School

,----[ Quote ]
| While other major philanthropies, such as
| the Seattle-based Bill & Melinda Gates
| Foundation and the Walton Family
| Foundation of Bentonville, Ark., have
| given millions of dollars to charter
| schools, it is believed that the Kauffman
| Foundation is the largest and most
| prominent private foundation to have
| decided to run its own charter school. And
| though other organizations with
| âfoundationâ in their names have started
| charter schools, staff members from
| national charter school organizations and
| philanthropic organizations couldnât point
| to any that are grantmaking foundations,
| as is the Kauffman Foundation.
`----

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2010/06/16/36foundation.h29.html?tkn=PXSFQs0lPr4GBsAmkwncwKIKP%2BBFOQ%2BykyFo&cmp=clp-edweek

Microsoft 'School of the Future' in Philly finally in a groove?

,----[ Quote ]
| When the Microsoft-designed School of the
| Future opened, the facility was a paragon
| of contemporary architecture, with a green
| roof, light-filled corridors and the
| latest classroom technology, all housed in
| a dazzling white modern building.
|
| It might as well have been a fishbowl:
| Educators and media from around the world
| watched to see whether Microsoft could
| reform public education through innovation
| and technology.
`----

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-06-19-microsoft-school_N.htm

First class graduates from 'School of the Future'

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7499670

Microsoft High School's First Graduating Class Has a Bright Future

http://www.fastcompany.com/1660101/the-first-graduating-class-of-microsofts-high-school-has-an-extremely-bright-future

Microsoft High Schoolâs First Graduating Class Has a Bright Future

http://news.yourolivebranch.org/2010/06/15/microsoft-high-schools-first-graduating-class-has-a-bright-future/

What could possibly go wrong?

Microsoft's Philly high school traveled rocky road

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's liaison to the school, Mary
| Cullinane, says the school has overcome
| its early challenges.
`----

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iA47R-ZEfVjcb2iTbZ0GEGr28zCQD9GBL0U00

Top Microsoft executive shares company views on state issues

,----[ Quote ]
| Education, livability, and economic ties
| with Asia will determine the long-term
| success of Washington, according to
| Microsoft's top public-policy man.
`----

http://www.seattlepi.com/sound/421930_sound96526879.html

Move aside, Department of Education. Bill and Microsoft will take it from here.

Recent:

PPS and the philanthro-capitalists

,----[ Quote ]
| The free market approach to enrollment and
| funding is a demonstrable failure in
| Portland, when measured by access to
| educational opportunity. Unless the
| district is willing to significantly reduce
| opportunity for the white middle class,
| thereâs no way they can pay for equity of
| opportunity without balancing enrollment,
| that is, by curtailing school choice. This
| is a significant element of the high school
| plan. With it, the district appears to be
| forging a path independent of current
| trends pushed by Gates, at least for high
| schools.
|
| But the district appears unwilling to apply
| the same lesson to middle grades.
|
| Sara Allanâs contention that itâs not the
| structure of the school that matters, but
| what goes on in the classroom, also closely
| parrots the current line being sold by
| Phillips, now head of education for the
| Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
|
| Phillips was the keynote speaker at the
| Council of The Great City Schools
| conference held in Portland last month,
| attended by Allan and quite a few of her
| administrative colleagues. In her speech,
| Phillips promoted merit pay for teachers,
| the latest policy thrust of Gates.
|
| While superintendent in Portland, Philips
| was responsible for both the transition to
| K-8 schools  and the âsmall schoolsâ
| initiative, funded largely by the Gates
| foundation, which dismantled every
| comprehensive high school in Portland
| serving majority non-white students, and
| split them into rigid âacademies.â These
| academies forced students to choose a
| narrow field of study as freshmen, and
| didnât allow students to take electives
| offered in other academies in the same
| building.
|
| [...]
|
| Gatesâ quiet partner
|
| The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has
| grown to be the dominant voice in the
| national education dialogue, heavily
| influencing the federal education policy of
| both George W. Bush and Barack Obama. But
| even as PPS appears to be taking a non-
| Gates path on high schools, the district
| continues to be enamored with  Gatesâ
| biggest private-sector education policy
| ally: Eli Broadâs education foundation.
|
| [...]
|
| âStudent performance,â entirely measured by
| standardized test scores, correlates highly
| to poverty. Broadâs scheme would almost
| certainly assure that teachers in poor and
| minority communities would make less than
| their colleagues in wealthier schools, only
| worsening the achievement gap. This puts
| the lie to Broadâs (and Gatesâ) stated
| mission of closing that gap.
|
| [...]
|
| âStudent performance,â entirely measured by
| standardized test scores, correlates highly
| to poverty. Broadâs scheme would almost
| certainly assure that teachers in poor and
| minority communities would make less than
| their colleagues in wealthier schools, only
| worsening the achievement gap. This puts
> [...]
`----

http://ppsequity.org/2009/11/30/pps-and-the-philanthro-capitalists/

Related:

Dark cloud over good works of Gates Found

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gatesx07jan07,0,6827615.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Gates Foundation Revokes Pledge to Review Portfolio

,----[ Quote ]
| ...the Gates Foundation took down their public statement on this
| and replaced it with a significantly altered version which seems to
| say that investing responsibly would just be too complex for them
| and that they need to focus on their core mission: 'There are
| dozens of factors that could be considered, almost all of which
| are outside the foundation's areas of expertise. The issues
| involved are quite complex...
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/12/1756212&from=rss

Gates Foundationâs Influence Criticized

,----[ Quote ]
| The chief of malaria for the World Health Organization has complained that
| the growing dominance of malaria research by the Bill and Melinda Gates
| Foundation risks stifling a diversity of views among scientists and wiping
| out the world health agencyâs policy-making function.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/16/science/16malaria.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation- Truth Revealed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttq0IdULfjg

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation- Truth Revealed Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVlnqnMHQ1c

Gates in charge of education?

,----[ Quote ]
| Since when was this country's educational system run by Bill
| Gates and his foundation? When exactly did he and those he's
| hired become the top educational experts in the country?
|
| As far as I can tell this (like much else) has to do with who
| has enough money to boss other people around. There are
| supposed to be other values in a democracy.
|
| And the irony of the man who was sued by the federal
| government for a monopoly now endorsing competition in public
| education hasn't escaped me, either.
`----

http://who-cester.blogspot.com/2009/12/gates-in-charge-of-education.html

Gates Foundation cash wields influence

,----[ Quote ]
| The Gates Foundation is offering up to
| $250,000 apiece to states that want to apply
| for $5 billion in federal grants to help
| reform our nation's school systems.
|
| [...]
|
| The Associated Press story noted that there is
| a joke going around that says the real
| secretary of education is Bill Gates. To us,
| that's no joke.
`----

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20091028/OPINION/910280304/Gates-Foundation-cash-wields-influence

Editorial: School reform the Gates way