[News] [Rival] Bill Gates Increases BP Investments, Pulls a Rockefeller

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Bill Gates Increases BP Investments, Pulls a Rockefeller
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 22:37:12 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Exactly how many shares of BP does the Gates Fund really own?

,----[ Quote ]
| H/t to commenter David C. for telling me
| that I badly understated the BP stock
| holdings of the Bill & Melinda Gates
| Foundation which I reported first as 4
| million and than revised to more than 7
| million shares. Here's where I got my
| original figures. But in yesterday's NYT,
| Green blogger John Rudolph ("How British
| is BP?) reports that the Gates Fund
| actually owns an astonishing 43 million
| shares. The estimates keep climbing on par
| with BP's spill estimates.
`----

http://michaelklonsky.blogspot.com/2010/06/exactly-how-many-shares-of-bp-does.html

Philanthropy hegemony - the Gates Foundation and the Pledge

,----[ Quote ]
| Pledge? Social contract? Document? What do
| rich people (or poor people) need a pledge
| for? It has been for the last several
| years the norm for the very rich to give
| away a lot. Why the hegemon? Three
| billionaires' dinner party diners decided
| on the 50% figure.
|
| On the Charlie Rose show Melinda says she
| doesn't care what the funds are given to.
| Huuh? Warren has not missed a meal or a
| movie because he gives most of his money
| away. No surprise there. Philanthropy
| appears to be enriching the Gates'
| relationship. Good for them. Bill says:
| "there's a broad set of things that would
| never happen without philanthropy." What
| arrogance! Charlie says: "This is not a
| billionaire's club". It sure looks like it
| - no one else is invited.
|
| See if you can find Charlie Rose with the
| Gates and Warren
| http://www.charlierose.com/ or
| http://bit.ly/w12m.
`----

http://gateskeepers.civiblog.org/blog/_archives/2010/6/18/4556274.html

Rockefeller II:

How long foundation should last rooted in family goals, values

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates Sr. believes that a charitable
| foundation should be set up to run forever
| â in âperpetuity.â He points to the
| success of the foundation created by John
| D. Rockefeller Sr. in the early 1900s.
`----

http://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/business/how-long-foundation-should-last-rooted-in-family-757322.html?cxtype=rss_columnists_300796

"The chief of malaria for the World
Health Organization has complained that
the growing dominance of malaria research
 by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
 risks stifling a diversity of views
among scientists and wiping out the
world health agencyâs policy-making function.
 [...] Many of the worldâs
leading malaria scientists are now
âlocked up in a âcartelâ with their
own research funding being linked to