[News] Discussion About Business Value of Free Software and GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Discussion About Business Value of Free Software and GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 17:45:09 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Can a FOSS Firm Hit the Billion-Dollar Jackpot?

,----[ Quote ]
| In any discussion of FOSS's potential to be
| profitable, Red Hat  (NYSE: RHT) is
| invariably held up as the poster child for
| success.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/70244.html?wlc=1277133017&wlc=1277156889

The Economics of Open Source: Why the Billion Dollar Barrier is Irrelevant

,----[ Quote ]
| The explanation of why zero pure play open
| source vendors have hit the one billion
| dollar revenue mark has never seemed, to
| me, particularly complicated. The economics
| of open source are, as Glyn notes above,
| fundamentally differentiated from the
| closed source models that preceded it. Open
| source as an application development model enjoys
| many advantages over proprietary, in-house
| development; distribution and usage among
| them. But revenue extraction has not
| traditionally been a strength, for obvious
| reasons. When payment is optional, as it is
| with most open source software, fewer users
| become commercial buyers. Next up, a study
| proving that objects further away are
| harder to see.
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2010/06/21/opensource-billion-dollar-barrier/

ZenCart Helps You Build Your Own Store Online

,----[ Quote ]
| The product I'm examining this week,
| ZenCart, does have basic shopping cart
| functionality, but through a series of add-
| on modules, it gives businesspeople many
| more capabilities. The major thing that
| sets ZenCart apart from the competition is
| the fact that it is open-source software.
| Open source means the source code is made
| freely available to the user community.
`----

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abu/y210/m06/abu0265/s04

Recent:

Does Open Source Suffer From A Glass Ceiling?

,----[ Quote ]
| But looking up today's market cap shows
| Red Hat with a 5.9B market cap. Not too
| bad for a company that is doing 750
| million in revenue.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/62513

There may never be another Red Hat but that is OK

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/there-may-never-be-another-red-hat-but-that-is-ok/6682