[News] Cray Runs GNU/Linux (Ballnux) Despite Microsoft Deal

  • Subject: [News] Cray Runs GNU/Linux (Ballnux) Despite Microsoft Deal
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 18:23:56 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Cray launches Gemini super interconnect

,----[ Quote ]
| The third generation of the Cray Linux
| Environment, a goosed version of Novell's
| SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 that was
| originally expected only on Baker boxes and
| their Gemini interconnect, made its debut
| last month sporting a neat new feature
| called Cluster Compatibility Mode.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/25/cray_xe6_baker_gemini/

Recent:

Cray Launches the Cray XE6 Supercomputer - The Next Generation of Its High-End Supercomputers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cray-launches-the-cray-xe6-supercomputer-the-next-generation-of-its-high-end-supercomputers-2010-05-25?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Cray launches Gemini super interconnect

,----[ Quote ]
| Right now, the CCM feature of Cray Linux
| Environment 3.0 is supported on XT6 and
| XT6m mini variants and only emulating
| Ethernet, but will be backported to XT5
| and XT5m machines later this year and to
| XT4 machines in early 2011; eventually,
| CCM will be able to emulate InfiniBand as
| well, if your HPC apps prefer that.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/25/cray_xe6_baker_gemini/

GNU/Linux Tops TOP500 Supercomputers Again

,----[ Quote ]
| The fact that GNU/Linux totally dominates the top 500 supercomputing list is
| hardly news, but the fact that it has managed to *increase* its market share
| yet further is.
|
| Here are the results for June 2009:
|

|     GNU/Linux 443 (88.6%)
|     Windows 5 (1.0%)
|     Unix 22 (4.4%)
|

| and here are the figures for six months ago:
|

|     GNU/Linux 439 (87.8%)
|     Windows 5 (1.0%)
|     Unix 23 (4.6%)
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/06/gnulinux-tops-top500-supercomputer.html

Linux shows staying power on Top500

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest list indicates growing Linux dominance. Linux is used in the top
| nine supercomputer systems in the world. When considered as the primary OS or
| part of a mixed-OS supersystem, Linux is now present in 469 of the
| supercomputer sites, 93.8% of the Top500 list.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/11/25/linux-shows-staying-power-on-top500/

Why is Linux THE FASTEST operating system today?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/why-is-linux-the-fastest-operating-system-today-28534