[News] Red Hat Interview and Other News Items

  • Subject: [News] Red Hat Interview and Other News Items
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:21:25 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Executive Spotlight: Gunnar Hellekson of Red Hat U.S. Public Sector

,----[ Quote ]
| Like many other IT professionals, Gunnar
| Helleksonâs interest in computers was born at
| an early age, but it was not until college he
| received formal training in the field. While
| taking engineering classes, Hellekson put his
| skills and his entrepreneurial side to use and
| worked as a systems administrator to make some
| money. Not long after, he took the step to
| start up a number of Internet companies, doing
| business-to-business work and web development,
| eventually leading to the founding of a
| consulting company focused on helping small
| and medium-size arts and nonprofits in New
| York City. About four or five years ago, he
| traded the Big Apple for the nationâs capital
| and ended up working at Red Hat U.S. Public
| Sector as a chief technology strategist.
`----

http://blog.executivebiz.com/executive-spotlight-gunnar-hellekson-of-red-hat-u-s-public-sector/10484

Linux as a catalyst for a smarter planet

,----[ Quote ]
| In this morning's Red Hat Summit sessions,
| Jean Staten Healy and Bob Sutor of IBM
| presented on the solutions that communities
| around the world are implementing using
| Linux as a catalyst for a smarter planet.
|
| The IT industry exists to solve problems.
| And you can solve them at a micro level, or
| you can look problems that are so huge, they
| affect countries, or the entire world. The
| range is huge, and complexity varies
| tremendously. Smarter Planet is about a
| macro approach. It's meant for those really
| significant problems and to answer how IT
| can help solve those problems.
`----

http://opensource.com/life/10/6/linux-catalyst-smarter-planet

Let's Deep-Six Facebook and Do Open Source Social Networking Instead - Pro: Evan Prodromou

,----[ Quote ]
| In November 2008, Evan Prodromou -- founder of
| identi.ca and CEO and lead developer of
| StatusNet -- published a blog post on
| autonomo.us in which he argued that we need a
| distributed model for social networking sites.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/70256.html?wlc=1277402319

Irrefutable Proof That GNU/Linux Costs Less on the Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Why does RedHat still provide tools for
| GNU/Linux on the desktop in individual
| installations or huge roll-outs? Their
| customers demand it. If RedHat did not
| provide the service, then someone else would
| and might siphon off the lucrative
| server/services/training businessâ Ah!
| Thereâs the thing. GNU/Linux on the desktop
| is not a huge money maker for them but it
| does work for the customer and RedHat gets
| money for consultation/setup.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/06/23/irrefutable-proof-that-gnulinux-costs-less-on-the-desktop/

Recent:

Red Hat Chief Says Demand for Companyâs Software Is Rebounding

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat Inc., the Linux software maker whose
| sales and profit in the latest quarter
| exceeded analystsâ estimates, said demand
| for its products is reviving, especially in
| North America.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2009-12-23/red-hat-chief-says-demand-for-company-s-software-is-rebounding.html

Profits remain strong at Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| Results that would make other companies go
| ho-ho-ho have become ho-hum for Linux
| software company Red Hat, which on Tuesday
| posted the latest in a string of strong
| quarterly results.
|
| The Raleigh-based company, which performed
| well even when the recession was at its
| worst, once again exceeded analysts'
| expectations for both the top line and the
| bottom line - revenue and profits.
|
| Investors responded positively to the
| results, which were released after the
| markets closed. Red Hat shares rose as much
| as 7percent in after-hours trading.
`----

http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/253385.html

Red Hat has a jolly Q3

,----[ Quote ]
| Commercial Linux distributor and platform
| wannabe Red Hat ended the year with a peachy
| quarter. For the third quarter of fiscal
| 2010, ended November 30, sales jumped 17.5
| per cent to $194.3m.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/22/redhat_q3_f2010_numbers/

Subscriptions Boost Red Hat Revenue