[News] Nokia Shifts Focus to More Software (Including Linux), Still Delivers Maemo

  • Subject: [News] Nokia Shifts Focus to More Software (Including Linux), Still Delivers Maemo
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:54:21 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Nokia declares itself a 'software company'

,----[ Quote ]
| The software, too, is changing. The mobile
| giant is set to release an overhaul of the
| popular open-source Symbian Series 60
| platform with Symbian 3 and soon Symbian 4,
| and is in the process of bringing the first
| devices with its Linux-based MeeGo operating
| system to market. Once completed, Nokia will
| only have three smartphone platforms for its
| entire fleet - Series 40, Symbian 4 and
| MeeGo - which are open for development from
| third parties through its Qt framework which
| can be deployed on all of the company's
| devices.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/062410-nokia-declares-itself-a-software.html

Nokia N900: The Smartphone That Runs Linux-Based Maemo OS

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/06/nokia-n900-the-smartphone-that-runs-linux-based-maemo-os/

Recent:

Researchers track eyeballs

,----[ Quote ]
| Researchers at Dartmouth College have
| developed an advanced iris recognition
| algorithm that they have cleverly
| christened the Eyephone. The algorithm
| runs on Nokia's 810 tablet, which runs
| Linux.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/blog-post/1650122/researchers-track-eyeballs

Nokia N900 Review

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://techtickerblog.com/2010/05/26/nokia-n900-review/

Nokia N900: The Smartphone That Runs Linux-Based Maemo OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Maemo is backed up by a superscalar ARM
| Cortex-A8 processor to deliver a PC-like
| multitasking experience and a super-fast,
| fully interactive, Mozilla-powered browser
| that has to be seen to be appreciated.
`----

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/05/nokia-n900-the-smartphone-that-runs-linux-based-maemo-os/

No MeeGo Upgrade for the N900, Says Nokia

http://www.pcworld.com/article/197087/no_meego_upgrade_for_the_n900_says_nokia.html

Nokia Releases PR 1.2 Firmware Update for N900

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2010/5/26/nokia-releases-pr-12-firmware-update-for-n900.aspx