[News] Nokia to Target Tablets With GNU/Linux, Not Just Phones

  • Subject: [News] Nokia to Target Tablets With GNU/Linux, Not Just Phones
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:52:44 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Meego marches forward on handsets and tablets

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia has confirmed that it now plans to
| release a preliminary version of its MeeGo
| platform for handsets on the 30th of June.
| The Linux-based distribution for mobile
| devices is the result of the February
| decision to merge Intel's Moblin platform
| and Nokia's Maemo platform under the aegis
| of the Linux Foundation.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Meego-marches-forward-on-handsets-and-tablets-1027836.html

Playing with MeeGo 1.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps that is the future of Linux on the
| desktop - at least, Linux on the relatively
| small desktop. Like Android, it's not the
| sort of Linux experience that we are used
| to, though MeeGo is far closer to
| "traditional" Linux than Android is. But
| perhaps it's an experience that will bring
| in a new set of users; once they get used to
| this environment, the full Linux experience
| will be there for them to discover. That
| should be a good thing.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/391125/

Nokia looks to Meego to combat Iphone 4

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1687656/nokia-looks-meego-combat-iphone

Recent:

Nokia seen making 9-inch tablet with ARM, MeeGo

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia's rumored tablet had some of its
| details firmed up today in one analyst note.
| The device would use MeeGo, the mobile OS
| designed with Intel, but would use an ARM
| processor and not the Atom Z600 Intel would
| prefer. Digitimes Research claimed in the
| note that it would have either a seven- or
| nine-inch screen and would be assembled by
| Foxconn for the fall.
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/06/21/nokia.may.not.use.atom.for.meego.tablet/

Nokia to launch a tablet later this year?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/06/nokia-to-launch-a-tablet-later-this-year.html