[News] Open Hardware Uses Linux-biased Chips, Giving Away Access Pays Off

  • Subject: [News] Open Hardware Uses Linux-biased Chips, Giving Away Access Pays Off
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:52:51 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

BeagleBoard open source project gets shot in the ARM

,----[ Quote ]
| And the open source community has lapped it
| up. Currently, there are 164 projects
| registered with the BeagleBoard website.
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2010/06/23/48899/beagleboard-open-source-project-gets-shot-in-the-arm.htm

Giving it all away

,----[ Quote ]
| Increasingly, due to the good offices of
| Creative Commons, much of the content on the
| web can be legally repurposed or
| appropriated for other use. I think this is
| a good thing. None of us want to waste time
| re-inventing the proverbial wheel, and we
| could bear in mind what Pablo Picasso once
| said: 'Good artists borrow, great artists
| steal'. So OK, 'steal' is an emotive word,
| which we probably don't want to associate
| with, but I get the sentiments behind the
| statement. A lot of art and music could be
| said to be 'derivative' - and there have
| been many court cases and fallings out over
| this grey area of creativity, but here's my
| point: I don't mind at all if other people
| borrow my content for their own purposes, as
| long as they attribute it to me and don't
| make any commercial profit at my expense.
| Many already have - some people have
| actually translated my content into other
| languages or used as a part of larger works.
| I'm an advocate not only of Open Educational
| Resources, but also the idea of Open
| Scholarship, which is where academics and
| scholars not only make their content
| available for free, they also open up
| themselves to constructive criticism from
| their peers. I hope we see more of this in
| the coming years and I am confident we
| shall.
`----

http://steve-wheeler.blogspot.com/2010/06/giving-it-all-away.html

Recent:

Open Source DIY Tablet Kit Promises Versatility

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/liquidware-beagle-diy-tablet-pc,news-7128.html