[News] New Wins for Open Data, Including SPARC

  • Subject: [News] New Wins for Open Data, Including SPARC
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:54:13 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Data Commons â Attribution License released

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks to everyone for their feedback on the
| licenses and their help with the project. We
| can now announce a new license to the Open
| Data Commons family, the ODC Attribution
| License (ODC-BY) license. This is a database
| specific license requiring attribution for
| databases. This makes ODC-BY similar to the
| Creative Commons Attribution license, but is
| built specifically for databases. As a legal
| tool that only requires attribution, it
| complies with the Open Knowledge Definition,
| the Open Knowledge Foundationâs standard
| around defining the rights behind what
| something means to be âopenâ.
`----

http://www.opendatacommons.org/2010/06/24/open-data-commons-attribution-license-released/

OpenStreetMap: 2010 State of the Map conference

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenStreetMap  (OSM) Project has
| announced that this year's State of the Map
| conference will take place from the 9th to
| the 11th of July in Girona, Spain.
| OpenStreetMap is an open source project that
| is building free online maps, not based on
| any copyright or licensed map data. Founded
| by Steve Coast  in August of 2004 and run by
| the OpenStreetMap Foundation, to date the
| project has nearly 270,000  users worldwide
| that make more than 7,000 edits every hour.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/OpenStreetMap-2010-State-of-the-Map-conference-1028453.html

Scientists for open data and authors of Panton Principles named SPARC Innovators

,----[ Quote ]
| Science is based on building on, reusing,
| and openly criticizing the published body of
| scientific knowledge. For science to
| effectively function, and for society to
| reap the full benefits from scientific
| endeavors, it is crucial that science data
| be made open.
|
| Thatâs the belief of four leaders who have
| put forth a groundbreaking set of
| recommendations for scientists to more
| easily share their data â The Panton
| Principles â and who have been named the
| latest SPARC Innovators for their work.
`----

http://www.arl.org/sparc/media/10-0622.shtml

Announcing the Portability Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| Weâre proud to announce the release of the
| Portability Policy, the latest creation from
| the DataPortability Project. We believe that
| this will help further the vision of digital
| freedom that was the founding ideal of our
| group two years ago.
|
| The software industry is still figuring out
| the right balance between open and closed,
| but we believe that communication is the
| first step. The DataPortability Project
| encourages standard, plain language policies
| describing how data and digital âstuffâ can
| be moved from one product to another.
`----

http://blog.dataportability.org/2010/06/23/announcing-the-portability-policy/

Recent:

Open Geoprocessing Standards and Open Geospatial Data

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.okfn.org/2010/06/21/open-geoprocessing-standards-and-open-geospatial-data/