[News] Analysis of the Risk to GNU/Linux From Patent Trolls Like MPEG LA

  • Subject: [News] Analysis of the Risk to GNU/Linux From Patent Trolls Like MPEG LA
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:21:54 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

MPEG LA's AVC/H.264 licensing terms: further analysis

,----[ Quote ]
| One might assume that MPEG LA's obvious
| desire to maximize its royalty income would
| practically guarantee that all significant
| companies infringing its patents would be
| pursued. But the worldwide market is huge
| and if you have a country that's only
| medium-sized, then MPEG LA may decide for
| efficiency reasons to collect royalties only
| from the market leader. That one would face
| a risk of litigation if refusing to pay, but
| if that licensee's competitors don't pay
| because MPEG LA doesn't go after them for
| the time being, then that's an awkward
| situation for the licensee.
`----

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2010/06/mpeg-las-avch264-licensing-terms.html

Bergelt calls Canonical membership part of new OIN strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| The Founding Members direct policy,
| licensees can agree to put down their legal
| briefs, while Associate Members pay an
| unspecified fee and will exist somewhere in
| the middle.
|
| âIn mobile and in desktop weâre bringing in
| relationships where people provide a
| financial commitment, which weâre not
| announcing the amount, to support the
| evolution of OINâs activities into these
| new areas,â said Bergelt.
|
| In other words, expect a select few other
| companies to be invited. Perhaps as many as
| a half-dozen. They and the Founding Members
| will keep Bergeltâs 22-member staff
| employed.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/bergelt-calls-canonical-membership-part-of-new-oin-strategy/6736

Canonical Joins The Open Invention Network

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/canonical-joins-the-open-invention-network.html

Recent:

MPEG LA Extends H.264 Royalty-Free Period

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/02/03/1528242/MPEG-LA-Extends-H264-Royalty-Free-Period

H.264 for Internet video to be royalty free till 2016

,----[ Quote ]
| The move will allow internet broadcasters,
| including YouTube and Vimeo, to continue
| providing H.264 encoded content.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/H-264-for-Internet-video-to-be-royalty-free-till-2016-921828.html

No, you canât do that with H.264

,----[ Quote ]
| A lot of commercial software comes with
| H.264 encoders and decoders, and some
| computers arrive with this software
| preinstalled. This leads a lot of people to
| believe that they can legally view and
| create H.264 videos for whatever purpose
| they like. Unfortunately for them, it ainât
| so.
`----

http://bemasc.net/wordpress/2010/02/02/no-you-cant-do-that-with-h264/

W3C proposes hardware interface

,----[ Quote ]
| The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) draft
| for a "System Information API" specifies
| JavaScript functions for accessing the
| battery, CPU, sensors and other hardware
| characteristics of a device. For this
| purpose, the window.navigator object's
| SystemInfo interface has to implement the
| get, set and watch methods. set can only be
| applied to some screen properties such as
| brightness and orientation, while all other
| hardware properties are marked as readonly.
| watch is used for monitoring readings, for
| example those of a heat sensor.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/W3C-proposes-hardware-interface-921734.html

MPlayer Now Supports Most HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Codecs

,----[ Quote ]
| This news is coming a few days late
| (MPlayer's web-site lacks any RSS or
| syndication support), but the latest
| MPlayer code in their SVN trunk now
| supports most HD-DVD and Blu-ray codecs.
| Earlier this year we talked about possible
| Blu-ray support for FFmpeg and developers
| becoming more interested after we
| interviewed the FFmpeg developers and there
| ended up being an outpouring of support by
| our readers offering up Blu-ray drives and
| other forms of help.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzcwMQ

FFmpeg Gains VDPAU MPEG-4 ASP Acceleration

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzcwMg