[News] [Rival] Is Microsoft CEO About to Exit Microsoft? Bad Strategy Blamed

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Is Microsoft CEO About to Exit Microsoft? Bad Strategy Blamed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:34:13 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Is Steve Ballmer about to exit Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| So the question that now has to be asked is:
| Will Steve Ballmer quit as CEO, either
| leaving Microsoft altogether, or shifting to
| a different role?
`----

http://vista.blorge.com/2010/06/20/is-steve-ballmer-about-to-exit-microsoft/

I have lost confidence in Steve Ballmer's leadership

,----[ Quote ]
| This just isn't my week for being right. On
| Tuesday there was confession: "I was wrong
| about Apple iPad." Today, I make another: I
| was wrong about Microsoft's CEO. Yesterday's
| Windows Embedded Handheld announcement
| shattered my remaining confidence in Steve
| Ballmer. About three weeks ago, I asserted:
| "Steve Ballmer is the right man to turn
| around Microsoft mobile." If yesterday's
| announcement is indicative of Microsoft's
| mobile strategy, then I was wrong. He isn't
| the right man, and I must now question if he
| should even continue leading Microsoft.
|
| Since January, when I posted "Microsoft,
| don't give up on Steve Ballmer just yet,"
| people have asked by way of Betanews
| comments, e-mail or Twitter how I can stand
| by the man, and I have been sharply
| criticized for the stance. Perhaps I like
| Ballmer's character too much. He is a rarity
| among corporate CEOs. Ballmer wears his
| heart on his sleeve. The man struggles to
| contain his excitement or to resist speaking
| his mind, despite years of media coaching.
| Ballmer is a "tell it like it is" kind of
| man, and I find the quality appealing.
`----

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/20100618/i-have-lost-confidence-in-steve-ballmers-leadership.htm

Henry Blodget:

Could Microsoft Collapse?

,----[ Quote ]
| Once again, the Chrome/Android momentum has
| nothing to do with Windows.  Once again, it
| doesn't benefit Microsoft in any way.
|
| Now take a look at what Microsoft's biggest
| Windows customers--Dell, HP, and the other
| big PC manufacturers--are up to. Dell is in
| talks with Google to begin developing
| devices designed to run Chrome (and who can
| blame it--if it doesn't do this, it will be
| left behind in the next wave of consumer
| devices). And HP just bought the wreckage of
| Palm so that it would have a better mobile
| operating system with which to compete
| against Apple.  From Microsoft's
| perspective, these last two developments are
| disasters.
|
| [...]
|
| In short, the monopoly "platform"
| characteristics that have protected Windows
| all these years are completely breaking
| down.  The PC's relative importance in the
| world of personal technology is dwindling,
| and Microsoft has not been able to transfer
| Windows to other platforms. Google will soon
| be offering a free alternative for remaining
| PC-like devices, which, at the very least,
| will put pressure on Microsoft's margins.
|
| Add all that together, and there's basically
| nothing good to say about the future of the
| Windows platform.
`----

http://blogs.forbes.com/velocity/2010/06/21/could-microsoft-collapse/

It's possible that Ballmer will be replaced.

Recent:

Bill Gates doesn't work at Microsoft anymore

,----[ Quote ]
| Besides, as I observed, "Who the heck could
| replace him anyway? I can't think of anyone
| inside MS and they're sure not going to
| look outside." Well, actually, there is one
| place that Microsoft could look, and that
| is to Bill Gate's house. But, he's not
| coming back. Bill Gates has left the
| building.
|
| This is a good thing for Apple, Google,
| Oracle, and the Linux companies, but for
| Microsoft? Well, I, for one, expect
| Microsoft to continue its slow decline from
| the top of the computer industry.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/business/111782/bill-gates-doesnt-work-microsoft-anymore

Rob Glaser: Why Microsoft has (pretty much) stopped innovating

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2010/06/rob_glaser_on_why_microsoft_has_mostly_stopped_innovating.html