Re: [News] Linux/Unix used for *real* work, ... collecting data from the Earths oceans

____/ Terry Porter on Friday 25 Jun 2010 12:47 : \____

> http://www.argo.ucsd.edu/index.html
> http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/phod/argo/doc/introduction.php?
> entry=float_mission
>
> Begin{quote}
> Argo is an international collaboration that collects high-quality
> temperature and salinity profiles from the upper 2000m of the ice-free
> global ocean and currents from intermediate depths.
>
>  The data come from battery-powered autonomous floats  that spend most of
> their life drifting at depth where they are stabilised by being neutrally
> buoyant at the "parking depth" pressure by having a density equal to the
> ambient pressure and a compressibility that is less than that of sea
> water.
>
>  At present there are three models of profiling float used extensively in
> Argo.
>  All work in a similar fashion but differ somewhat in their design
> characteristics.
>
>  At typically 10-day intervals, the floats pump fluid into an external
> bladder and rise to the surface over about 6 hours while measuring
> temperature and salinity.
>
>  Satellites determine the position of the floats when they surface, and
> receive the data transmitted by the floats. The bladder then deflates and
> the float returns to its original density and sinks to drift until the
> cycle is repeated. Floats are designed to make about 150 such cycles.
> end{quote}
> http://www.argo.ucsd.edu/How_Argo_Floats.html
>

> While reviewing this URL I noticed crontab code snippets, which show Unix
> or Linux use in this project, which makes perfect sense due to the zero
> dollar cost of Linux (easy, no fuss availability), and its amazing
> flexibility:-
> http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/phod/argo/doc/processing_system.php?
> entry=scheduler
>

> .... Linux, perfect for *real* work!

Actually, Linux/Unix *IS* used for *real* work (NYSE, NASA...); Windows is used for amateur work.

War is peace.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

"I donât understand how IE is going to win. The current path is simply to
copy everything that Netscape does packaging and product wise."
		--Jim Allchin, Microsoft
 17:20:01 up 2 days,  4:19,  1 user,  load average: 0.90, 1.41, 1.38