[News] OEM and GNU/Linux Preinstalls: Signs of Tipping Point

  • Subject: [News] OEM and GNU/Linux Preinstalls: Signs of Tipping Point
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 18:09:24 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux: We Now Build Mini ITX Systems with Linux Installed

,----[ Quote ]
| I am proud to announce that here at ERA
| Computers & Consulting (ERACC) we have
| researched the parts needed to build Mini
| ITX, Tiny PC, systems and are offering a
| quote option on our sales site. Each of these
| Tiny PC systems is built to end-user
| specification. We build these with or without
| a hard drive and with or without an operating
| system.

`----

http://blog.eracc.com/2010/06/25/linux-mini-itx/

It's All in the Execution

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a good lesson for anyone who has
| customers. The first step is figuring out
| who are your customers? When you're
| Microsoft it's not end-users, but everyone
| upstream: corporate buyers, resellers, and
| OEM shops. Actual users are little more
| than unavoidable nuisances. Microsoft
| salespeople and marketers cater strictly to
| the folks who sign the big checks. Their
| retail marketing is so awful it can't
| possibly be effective, but even if it is
| the folks who sign the checks to Microsoft
| are not individual retail customers, but
| the stores they buy from. In any business
| with this disconnect between purchaser and
| user, the user goes to the end of the
| customer service line.
|
| When you're a FOSS developer your customers
| are other developers who want to use or
| contribute to your code, and end users. It
| can get even more complicated as artists,
| documentation writers, distributors, bug
| finders, testers, and corporate
| contributors all want to get involved with
| your project. It can be overwhelming, but
| at least everyone has a direct stake in the
| health and success of your project.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2010-06-26-003-35-OS-BZ-CY

Recent:

Dell in talks with Google over Chrome OS

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65K19S20100621