[News] Microsoft and Its Front Groups (SIIA, BSA) Attack Vendors/Users of Windows

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft and Its Front Groups (SIIA, BSA) Attack Vendors/Users of Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:55:50 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

SIIA Extends Piracy Dragnet to Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| Five months after expanded its policing of
| counterfeit software applications to
| Europe, the Software and Information
| Industry Association (SIIA) has filed a
| trio of lawsuits in Germany and the UK
| accusing online sellers of hawking stolen
| or knock-off versions of Adobe Systems'
| applications on eBay.
|
| SIIA, a trade association representing
| roughly 500 software and digital content
| companies, has been on a mission to
| eliminate or at least reduce the rampant
| sale of stolen or counterfeit software on
| popular e-commerce sites -- most notably
| eBay (NASDAQ: EBAY).
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/secu/article.php/3889081/SIIA-Extends-Piracy-Dragnet-to-Europe.htm

Microsoft intensifies action against sale of illegal software

http://www.ameinfo.com/235857.html

Microsoft intensifies action against sale of illegal software

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews/articleid/4233434

Three resellers targetted by anti-piracy raids in UAE

,----[ Quote ]
| Authorities in the UAE have conducted three
| more raids against resellers accused of
| selling pirated software.
|
| [..]
|
| The raids were part of an ongoing campaign
| against software piracy in the region, led
| by Microsoft, which works closely with
| governments, industry partners and
| educational organisations on IPR
| enforcement.
`----

http://www.itp.net/580810-three-resellers-targetted-by-anti-piracy-raids-in-uae

Microsoft sues Lincoln company QuickTEQ Computers

,----[ Quote ]
| National software giant Microsoft is suing
| a Lincoln company, QuickTEQ Computers,
| alleging that it has been selling
| reproductions, copies or imitations of
| Microsoft's copyrighted materials.
`----

http://journalstar.com/business/local/article_34265f5e-7e42-11df-8512-001cc4c002e0.html

Microsoft sues Lincoln company QuickTEQ Computers

http://m.journalstar.com/journalstar/db_43246/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=lSecHcjB&storycount=872&detailindex=4&pn=&ps=

Microsoft sues Lincoln company QuickTEQ Computers

http://journalstar.com/business/local/article_34265f5e-7e42-11df-8512-001cc4c002e0.html

Microsoft sues Neb. company, QuickTeq Computers

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_ne_microsoft_lawsuit_nebraska.html

Microsoft sues Neb. company, QuickTeq Computers

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. says a Nebraska computer
| store has been infringing on its copyrights
| for Windows software.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9GH3RBO1.htm

Microsoft sues Lincoln store

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft says in the lawsuit that it sent
| a letter to QuickTeq in March 2009 warning
| the company that it was infringing on
| Microsoftâs copyrights.
`----

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100623/NEWS97/706239865

Microsoft Files Suit Against Lincoln Computer Store

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/96983294.html

at least it says "copyright infringements" and not "piracy" or "theft"

Microsoft sues Nebraska company, QuickTeq Computers, alleging copyright infringements

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/markets/market_news/article.jsp?content=D9GH3RBO1

Microsoft pounces on eBay software trader

,----[ Quote ]
| AN Australian eBay trader who admitted to
| selling Microsoft software illegally has
| paid $125,000 in compensation to the
| computer giant.
`----

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/microsoft-pounces-on-ebay-software-trader/story-e6frgakx-1225882458201

Recent:"It's easier for our software to compete with Linux when there's piracy
than when there's not."

                   --Bill Gates

Recent:

Microsoft: âPiracy no longer poses a threat to usâ

,----[ Quote ]
| To be totally honest, anytime you use any OS
| of any kind you open yourself up to viruses
| and trojans, especially with Microsoftâs
| Operating Systems.
|
| As this article is published, Microsoft has
| unfortunately not answered to our repeated
| email requests for a statement on this issue.
| In the news business thatâs called a solid âno
| comment.â
`----

http://freakbits.com/microsoft-piracy-no-longer-poses-a-threat-to-us-1202

Microsoft Anti-Piracy Chief Steps Down

,----[ Quote ]
| In the latest in a string of executive
| departures from Microsoft, the head of the
| company's anti-piracy efforts has left the
| company.
|
| Alex Kochis, who was the director of
| Microsoft's Genuine Software program,
| announced his resignation in a New Year's
| Eve blog post titled "Happy New Year and
| Goodbye."
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/microsoft_news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222200085

Who are the Real Pirates?