[News] [Rival] Dell is Pushing GNU/Linux Into Mainstream Desktops

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Dell is Pushing GNU/Linux Into Mainstream Desktops
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:15:05 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Will Dell Dump Microsoft for Google's Chrome Operating System?

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's (GOOG) Chrome operating system
| will be locked in a market share war with
| Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows OS when it's
| released later this year. Microsoft has a
| huge lead because it runs, by some
| estimates, on 90% of the PCs sold around
| the world. The success of Windows 7 may
| help cement that advantage. But the tide
| could be changing.
|
| Google and Dell (DELL) are discussing a
| deal to have its Chrome OS put on on the PC
| company's laptops. According to Reuters,
| "We have to have a point of view on the
| industry and technology direction two
| years, three years down the road, so we
| continuously work with Google on this,"
| Amit Midha, Dell's president for Greater
| China and South Asia said.
`----

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/dell-google-chrome-microsoft/19524202/

Dell is breaking away from Microsoft

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1686831/dell-breaking-away-microsoft

What Chrome OS Needs: Levity

http://www.pcworld.com/article/199860/what_chrome_os_needs_levity.html?tk=rss_news

Dell Hops On Google Chrome OS Bandwagon

http://www.crn.com/software/225700819

Dell embraces cloud, fires first shot in Google vs. Microsoft Battle

http://www.examiner.com/x-45919-Reno-Gadgets-Examiner~y2010m6d21-Dell-may-fire-first-shot-in-Google-vs-Microsoft-Battle

Recent:

Ubuntu Light demoed on a new Dell 14R

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Light was announced a few months
| back and is intended as a 'fast boot
| version' of Ubuntu for quick access to
| basic internet features such a a web
| browser, Skype & Empathy..
|
| The new 'Unity' interface Ubuntu Light is
| intended to be fast, responsive and quick -
| in the video below Ubuntu Light goes from
| off to Yahoo! in less than 20 seconds on
| one of Dell's newly announced i-core series
| of laptops/netbooks.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/06/ubuntu-light-demoed-on-dell-as-dual.html

Dell 14R Dual-Boot Ubuntu Light/Windows 7 Laptop Demo

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2010/06/21/dell-14r-dual-boot-ubuntu-lightwindows-7-laptop-demo/