[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Mobile Business Slammed in the Press

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Mobile Business Slammed in the Press
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:28:01 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft disqualifies itself from smartphone race

,----[ Quote ]
| In the hugely competitive smartphone arms
| race, thereâs only one real certainty:
|
| Microsoft is out. Disqualified. Not
| competitive.
|
| Why? Because Microsoft failed to tune into
| its own theme song: âDevelopers.
| Developers. Developers.â For a variety of
| reasons, the company fetished Windows
| desktop developers to the exclusion of
| mobile developers and now itâs paying the
| price.
`----

http://www.opensources.com/2010/06/24/microsoft-rim-disqualified-from-the-smartphone-race/

Looking Behind the iPhone 4 Launch Stats

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft might be late to the party and
| have trouble reversing the tide."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/199885/looking_behind_the_iphone_4_launch_stats.html?tk=hp_new

Microsoft's embarrassing problem with the future

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to mobile computing, the
| cloud, and desktop virtualization,
| Microsoft can't seem to shoot straight
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/t/software-service/microsofts-embarrassing-problem-the-future-846

Why Microsoft Can't Figure Out What's Next

http://www.pcworld.com/article/199432/why_microsoft_cant_figure_out_whats_next.html?tk=hp_new

Microsoft baits iPhone Game Developers with lucrative freebies

http://www.iphonefootprint.com/2010/06/microsoft-iphone-game-developers/

Microsoft Bribing iPhone Developers to Build Windows 7 Games

http://www.ipadweek.ly/2010/06/microsoft-bribing-iphone-developers-to-build-windows-7-games/

Fragmentation:

Microsoft introduces yet another Mobile OS

http://www.headlinesnews.net/5310/microsoft-introduces-yet-another-mobile-os

New OS From Microsoft

http://www.24worldnews.com/new-os-from-microsoft/21323/

Microsoft exec touts Windows Phone 7 as 'ad-serving machine'

http://www.fiercemobilecontent.com/story/microsoft-exec-touts-windows-phone-7-ad-serving-machine/2010-06-25

Microsoft dubs Windows Phone 7 'ad serving machine'

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is positioning its upcoming
| Windows Phone 7 smartphone OS, planned for
| release this October, as an "ad-serving
| machine."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/27/windows_phone_7_ads/

Linux is the future of phones. Microsoft has no apps or features.

Recent:

Microsoft's mobile ambitions suffers from fragmentation overload

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/microsofts-mobile-ambitions-suffers-from-fragmentation-overload/8683

Microsoft unveils â wait for it â another mobile OS

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/18/wimeha/

Windows Phone 7 compass mandatory but broken

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/18/windows_phone_compass/

Microsoft's Mobile Mathematics

,----[ Quote ]
| While there's no real way to accurately gauge
| the financial impact of Windows Mobile on the
| company, we can assume it's small.
`----

http://www.minyanville.com/businessmarkets/articles/microsoft-google-android-windows-mobile-google/6/14/2010/id/28741

Microsoft's Sidekick restoration turns into farce

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft played spot the difference over the
| weekend with statements on Saturday and Sunday
| that hinted at âsteady progressâ for the
| recovery of data its Danger subsidiary lost for
| many Sidekick customers.
|
| [...]
|
| The fallout was huge and Microsoft scurried to
| paint a more optimistic picture for Dangerâs
| unhappy customers, at the same time some punters
| threatened legal action against Redmond and T-
| Mobile.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/19/microsoft_danger_sidekick_where_art_thou_data/

Document: Microsoft, T-Mobile sued over Sidekick data outage

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's a copy of one (PDF, 21 pages), filed on
| behalf of Maureen Thompson, a Georgia resident who
| experienced a "complete and catastrophic loss of
| all data on her daughter's Sidekick." The suit
| claims that the architecture of Danger's Sidekick
| data system contributed significantly to the
| problem.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2009/10/full_text_suit_against_microsoft_t-mobile_over_sidekick.html?ana=from_rss

Sidekick users share their horror stories

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10372826-56.html