[News] How to Decide Whether to Move to GNU/Linux, Microsoft Types Learn Linux

  • Subject: [News] How to Decide Whether to Move to GNU/Linux, Microsoft Types Learn Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 20:25:46 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Pros and Cons of Linux. is it Right for your Business?

,----[ Quote ]
| What is Linux?
|
| Linux is an operating system like Microsoft
| Windows, MacOS or Unix. It was created as a
| hobby by Linus Torvalds, a student at the
| University of Helsinki in Finland. What
| many people do not know about Linux is that
| its source code is available to anyone. The
| source code for Linux is called the kernel
| and is the base operating system Linux.
| Since the source code, or kernel is free,
| has enabled hundreds of companies and
| individuals to release their own operating
| systems based on Linux system. These
| operating systems or formats are often
| referred to as Linux distributions.
`----

http://indomandriva.co.cc/pros-and-cons-of-linux-is-it-right-for-your-business-2/

Did I scare any new Open Source users - By John Joshph

,----[ Quote ]
| Another initiative from our side was to make
| the Microsoft IT support guys and companies
| comfortable with linux . We had started
| conducting the free workshop on open source
| solutions targeting them. Last workshop was
| on Zimbra mailing solution.The workshop was
| designed in such a way that the
| attendees(mostly MS guys)  after the workshop
| said to us . They never knew giving mailing
| solution in Linux was so easy. In this
| workshops we do not stress to much on ideas
| behind OS.We show them a solution which they
| can use, or sell.Here Linux is propagated
| through this MS IT support guys
`----

http://bazaarcloud.posterous.com/goldman-sachs-was-rebranded-according-to-new

Recent:

Linux distribution migration: Planning for efficiency

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid39_gci1514976,00.html