[News] Red Hat Speaks About Profit, RHEL 6.0

Integral Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| In his keynote speech at the Red Hat Summit
| in Boston, Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst made
| the case that of the $1.3 trillion USD
| spent in 2009 on Enterprise IT globally,
| $500 billion was essentially wasted (due to
| new project mortality and Version 2.0-
| itis). Moreover, because the purpose of IT
| spending is to create value (typically
| $6-$8 for each $1 of IT spend), the $500
| billion waste in enterprise IT spending
| translates to $3.5 trillion of lost
| economic value. He goes on to explain that
| with the right innovationsâin software
| business models, software architectures,
| software technologies, and applicationsâwe
| can get full value from the money that's
| being wasted today, reinforcing the thesis
| that innovation trumps cost savings.
`----

http://opensource.com/business/10/6/integral-innovation

Red Hat, Inc. Q1 2011 Earnings Call Transcript

,----[ Quote ]
| Revenues rose 20% to $209.1 million & net
| income rose 30.3% to $24.1 million or 12
| cents a share. Operating cash flow of $61
| million was in line with Q1 last year. Non-
| GAAP operating expense came in at $126
| million up 3% sequentially and 16% year-
| over-year. Non-GAAP operating income was
| $52 million.
`----

http://www.123jump.com/earnings-calls/Red-Hat-Inc.-Q1-2011-Earnings-Call-Transcript/39365/

Kernel Issues - The "Hurricane Katrina" of programming

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week I spent two days that the Red Hat
| Summit in Boston. Unlike a lot of
| conferences I attend, I actually spent much
| of my time in technical talks listening to
| some of the things that Red Hat was going
| to be putting into RHEL 6.0 which is due
| out in a short time1.
|
| I enjoy listening to technical talks,
| particularly ones talking about kernel
| issues since I used to teach operating
| system design. I taught other types of
| programming (database, compiler design,
| networking, graphics) but in my opinion
| most application-level programming
| (including libraries) is a âcalm seaâ
| versus the âHurricane Katrinaâ of kernel
| programming.
|
| One of the areas of interest to me was the
| various file systems being supported in the
| upcoming RHEL, not only the various
| attributes of the filesystems (that I could
| also get by reading various white papers
| and reports on the Internet) but some of
| the lower-level âgrunt workâ that needs to
| be done to make sure the files system is
| dependable and efficient under different
| loads.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Paw-Prints-Writings-of-the-maddog/Kernel-Issues-The-Hurricane-Katrina-of-programming

Red Hatâs Partner Progress: A Reality Check

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hatâs virtualization pitch is pretty
| simple: The company claims RHEV is more
| scalable and lower cost than VMware. But
| Red Hat concedes it has to improve the
| management tools surrounding RHEV. It
| sounds like Red Hat eventually hopes to
| leapfrog VMware with a potent combo (the
| forthcoming RHEL 6 and RHEV 2.3 releases)
| over the long haul.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2010/06/28/red-hats-partner-progress-a-reality-check/

Recent: