[News] Debian and Ubuntu Have Contrasting Views, Debian Project News

  • Subject: [News] Debian and Ubuntu Have Contrasting Views, Debian Project News
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:58:06 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Debian vs. Ubuntu: Contrasting Philosophies

,----[ Quote ]
| Debian and Ubuntu are distributions that
| lend themselves naturally to comparison.
| Not only is Ubuntu a continuing fork of
| Debian, but many of its developers also
| work on Debian.
|
| Even more important, you sometimes hear the
| suggestion that Ubuntu is a beginner's
| distribution, and that users might consider
| migrating to Debian when they gain
| experience.
|
| However, like many popular conceptions, the
| common characterizations of Debian and
| Ubuntu are only partially true. Debian's
| reputation as an expert's distribution is
| partly based on its state a decade ago,
| although it does provide more scope for
| hands-on management if that is what you
| want. Similarly, while Ubuntu has always
| emphasized usability, like any distro, much
| of its usability comes from the software
| that it includes -- software that is just
| as much a part of Debian as of Ubuntu.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3890111/Debian-vs-Ubuntu-Contrasting-Philosophies.htm

Debian Project News - June 28th, 2010

http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2010/06/

Rip CD's to MP3 in Debian

,----[ Quote ]
| My portable music player only plays MP3 and
| WMA format files, so I rip CD's into MP3. I
| hadn't ripped a CD since installing Debian,
| so coming across this post on the Debian
| forum, I checked and found that MP3 in
| Audio CD Extractor was not enabled.
| Following the instructions in the post, I
| was able to enable ripping into MP3.
`----

http://dontsurfinthenude.blogspot.com/2010/06/rip-cds-to-mp3-in-debian.html

Recent: