[News] Programming for Freedom Encouraged by Google, ActivePython Targets Finance and Science

  • Subject: [News] Programming for Freedom Encouraged by Google, ActivePython Targets Finance and Science
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 16:56 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google Summer of Code 2010: Meet The Students and Mentors!

,----[ Quote ]
| Following up on my post from a few weeks
| ago, Iâd like to give you all some more
| statistics about our Google Summer of
| Codeâ program participants this year.
|
| â We have 69 student countries represented
| this year. New countries represented by
| students include Jamaica, Morocco, and
| Cambodia.
| â For the first time we have mentors from
| Chile, South Africa, Taiwan, and Peru.
| â We have mentors from 52 different
| countries this year.
| â We had 3,464 students submit a total of
| 5,539 proposals in all. Last year we had
| 5,885 proposals submitted by 3,496
| students.
| â The open source organizations
| participating this year received an
| average of 36 proposals to review. We have
| 150 participating organizations this year.
`----

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2010/07/google-summer-of-code-2010-meet.html

ActivePython Updated for Finance, Scientific Users

,----[ Quote ]
| ActiveState has added three open source
| mathematics libraries to its ActivePython
| Python distribution that might interest
| financial and scientific computing
| markets, the company announced Thursday.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/199793/activepython_updated_for_finance_scientific_users.html

Recent:

Python GUI Proposal