[News] [Rival] Microsoft Funds Former Microsoft Employees to Enter Government, Help Evade Tax

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Funds Former Microsoft Employees to Enter Government, Help Evade Tax
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 20:59:23 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

For Reichert challenger, it's all about the economy

,----[ Quote ]
| For the third election in a row, U.S. Rep. Dave
| Reichert faces a well-financed Democrat who
| worked at Microsoft but has no political
| experience.
|
| [...]
|
| She has raised $1.27 million for her campaign,
| including $500,000 of her own and more than
| $100,000 in contributions from Microsoft
| employees, and has won the endorsement of the
| state Democratic Party and several party
| leaders.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2012224457_eighthdistrict28m.html

Wash. Income Tax Initiative Steps Closer To Ballot

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates Sr., father of the Microsoft Corp.
| co-founder, and about two dozen other
| supporters of Initiative 1098 turned in 350,000
| petition signatures Thursday in Olympia, many
| more than the roughly 241,000 required to get
| on the ballot. The campaign says it will turn
| in an additional 20,000 Friday.
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10798198/1/wash-income-tax-initiative-steps-closer-to-ballot.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEFI

Recent:

uincy tax breaks could mean more high-tech growth

,----[ Quote ]
| Gregoire signed a bill giving technology
| companies a sales tax break on some
| equipment if they obtain a building permit
| during the next year. The city and Port of
| Quincy also are working to build a recycled
| water project to provide treated water from
| the area's food production facilities for
| use by the data centers for cooling.
`----

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_wa_rural_tech_boom.html

Wash. city looks to lure more high-tech companies to area with tax breaks, water project

http://www.latimes.com/technology/sns-ap-us-rural-tech-boom-washington,0,5436552.story

Data center bill passage celebrated

,----[ Quote ]
| The stateâs data center tax incentive means
| Washington state has the ability to emerge
| into the most progressive field of 21st-
| century jobs.
|
| [...]
|
| Kevin Timmons, Microsoftâs general manager
| of data centers, said the billâs passage
| means the company can continue to invest
| and bring jobs to its home state of
| Washington.
`----

http://www.columbiabasinherald.com/news/article_4f5a66f2-7e57-11df-a045-001cc4c03286.html

The Seattle Times Earns "F" on Coverage of Microsoft Tax Dodge

,----[ Quote ]
| With Washington State facing insolvency and
| a record $2.8 billion deficit, The Seattle
| Times never told its readers about
| Microsoft's tax dodge despite its
| considerable impact on the deficit and Rep.
| Hunter's efforts and potential conflicts of
| interest. Senior Microsoft executives like
| Hunter often leave with tens of millions of
| dollars of company stock. (Hunter is
| pictured below-right)
|
| [...]
|
| Frankly, I'm amazed at the quantity and
| breadth of online coverage this blog
| generated for Microsoft's misdeeds this
| year, but extensive online coverage is not
| yet a replacement for local ink. Few people
| in Washington State seem to know about
| Microsoft's Nevada tax dodge and how it
| relates to their own increased taxes this
| year.
`----

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/06/seattle-times-fails-budget-coverage.html

Ready for the Microsoft Highway? How about the Boeing Bridge?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5haJcLVU3g5ZlBIBU51UvPqVqpUoAD9GHTFBG0

Linux users cry fail over ATO AUSKey compatibility

,----[ Quote ]
| The Australian Taxation Office is pushing the
| AUSkey public key infrastructure (PKI) for
| secure data exchange when submitting tax
| returns, but Linux users say they have again
| been left out in the cold.
|
| [...]
|
| In the case of tax returns, people can
| continue to use an ATO digital certificate
| until it expires â or it is cancelled â and
| then they will be forced to use an AUSkey.
| AUSkeys do not expire provided they are used
| at least once every year.
`----

http://www.cio.com.au/article/347414/linux_users_cry_fail_over_ato_auskey_compatibility/

E-tax could include Apple, Linux users

,----[ Quote ]
| APPLE and Linux users may soon be able to lodge their tax returns online
| alongside millions of Windows computer owners that have been doing so since
| 1999.
|
| The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) wants to make its e-tax self-lodgement
| software, available on non-Windows operating systems for the first time,
| tender documents have revealed.
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,24774196-15319,00.html

Macs, Linux to wait as ATO tenders e-tax

,----[ Quote ]
| The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) last week put the contract to maintain
| and develop its e-tax system out to market, with indications remaining that
| Mac OS X and Linux versions of the software are a ways off.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Macs-Linux-to-wait-as-ATO-tenders-e-tax/0,130061733,339293572,00.htm?omnRef=1337

Linux and the tax office: never the twain shall meet

,----[ Quote ]
| Why would a government body offer trial software for small and other
| businesses which use the GNU/Linux operating system, take it offline when the
| interest in it grows and keep quiet about it thereafter?
|
| [...]
|
| "The value to Australia of the uptake by business of the Linux operating
| system is substantial: In terms of balance of payments, the licence fees
| which would go across the globe to Microsoft, could remain in our own
| economy. This would have a positive effect on our balance of payments.
| Government could save money, and the general population could correspond with
| Government without the need for expensive proprietary Office programs.
|
| "Transactions with the ATO need to be conducted under the most secure
| arrangements possible. Linux and MacOSX answer this need best of all. Why
| would businesses operate their financial and taxation affairs under Windows
| unless the ATO was forcing their choice of an insecure platform? By
| obstructing the uptake of Linux by business the ATO are complicit in
| sabotaging the security of Australian businesses, and of putting the
| interests of a foreign company ahead of the national interest."
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18252/1090/

Taxman targets Mac, Linux users

,----[ Quote ]
| A spokesperson for the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) said compatibility
| of the application would extend to the Apple Macintosh and Linux
| operating systems. E-tax has so far required taxpayers to use
| Microsoft's Windows OS.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Taxman-targets-Mac-Linux-users/0,130061733,339274344,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/ypytk6

Taxman's Damascus moment: not all computers run Windows

,----[ Quote ]