[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.04 on the Desktop and a Look at 10.10

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.04 on the Desktop and a Look at 10.10
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 11:50:48 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu 10.04 (Desktop)

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâve been using Ubuntu as my distribution
| of choice for VMâs and server instances,
| and on a lark I took a swag at installing
| Ubuntu desktop onto a VM yesterday. Iâve
| got to say, itâs a pretty usable setup.
`----

http://www.rhonabwy.com/wp/2010/07/05/ubuntu-10-04-desktop/

Your Meerkat Needs You! Help Hunt down geeky app descriptions in the software centre

,----[ Quote ]
| Fixing poor descriptions of Software
| Centre applications is listed as a
| papercut milestone for Ubuntu 10.10
| because, as one tester during Canonicals'
| user testing day put it: âSoftware centre
| descriptions are geeky.â
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/your-meerkat-needs-you-help-find-geeky.html

Just what Will be for sale in the Ubuntu software centre Come October?

,----[ Quote ]
| The framework for supporting paid
| applications in the Ubuntu Software Centre
| will almost certainly be in place for Ubuntu
| 10.10  - but what could users expect to see
| on sale?
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/just-what-will-be-for-sale-in-ubuntu.html

Recent:

Ubuntu 10.10 Alpha 2 Gets Linux Kernel 2.6.35 and Btrfs

,----[ Quote ]
| A few minutes ago, the Ubuntu development
| team unleashed the second Alpha release of
| the upcoming Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat)
| operating system, due for release in October
| 10th, 2010. As usual, we've downloaded a
| copy of it in order to keep you up-to-date
| with the latest changes in the Ubuntu 10.10
| development.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-10-10-Alpha-2-Gets-Linux-Kernel-2-6-35-and-Btrfs-145922.shtml

Impression GTK Themes Get radical update for Meerkat

,----[ Quote ]
| As the 10.10 development cycle rolls along
| various user-created themes are submitted
| for potential inclusion in the âCommunity
| Themesâ package.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/impression-gtk-themes-get-radical.html

Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat Alpha 2 Released (What's New And Screenshots Inside)

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/07/ubuntu-1010-maverick-meerkat-alpha-2.html

Impressions: Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat Alpha 1 â With Screenshots

,----[ Quote ]
| I am sure the people working on this release
| are painfully aware of the implications of a
| release number of 10.10, no failures will be
| tolerated in what has already been dubbed the
| 10/10 (ten out of ten) release.
`----

http://g33q.co.za/2010/06/05/impressions-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat-alpha-1-with-screenshots/

Ubuntu 10.10 Alpha 1 Is Ready for Testing

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-10-10-Alpha-1-Is-Ready-for-Testing-143721.shtml

Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat Alpha 1 Released

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat-alpha-1-released.html

Maverick Alpha 1 released

,----[ Quote ]
| Pre-releases of Maverick are *not*
| encouraged for anyone needing a stable
| system or anyone who is not comfortable
| running into occasional, even frequent
| breakage. They are, however, recommended
| for Ubuntu developers and those who want
| to help in testing, reporting, and fixing
| bugs.
`----

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/2057

Celebrate Ubuntu 10.10 Alpha with these awesome Meerkat-inspired Wallpapers

,----[ Quote ]
| Whether you intend to download and install
| Ubuntu 10.10 Alpha 1 or not  the following
| meerkat-themed wallpapers will certainly
| get you in the Maverick-y mood.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/06/celebrate-ubuntu-1010-alpha-with-these.html

Summary of development plans for Ubuntu 10.10

http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2010/05/31/summary-of-development-plans-for-ubuntu-10-10/

New Post-Release Repository For New Applications Starting With Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/06/new-post-release-repository-for-new.html