[News] [Rival] Microsoft "Sidekick" is Dumped by T-Mobile

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft "Sidekick" is Dumped by T-Mobile
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:53:54 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

T-Mobile Discontinuing Sidekick Sales Starting July 2

,----[ Quote ]
| T-Mobile USA has decided to discontinue
| sales of the Sidekick family of devices
| starting on July 2. A T-Mobile
| spokesperson said to Phone Scoop in an
| email, "As T-Mobile looks to further
| innovate and raise the bar for the next
| iteration of the T-Mobile Sidekick, as of
| July 2, the Sidekick LX and Sidekick 2008
| will no longer be available through T-
| Mobile, including retail stores, care,
| telesales and online. While we work on the
| next chapter of our storied Sidekick
| franchise, T-Mobile will continue to
| provide our loyal Sidekick customers with
| product service and support. Stay tuned
| for exciting updates in the months ahead,
| which we expect will provide customers
| with a new and fresh experience."
`----

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=6252

Microsoft Fails to Impress

,----[ Quote ]
| Once again, Microsoft has a product that
| failed miserably. The Microsoft phone
| "KIN" has already been pulled from the US
| market, and will not be making its
| European launch as had been planned. The
| reality here is that Microsoft's only
| money maker is Office. Windows sells well
| only because of its being pre-installed on
| most PCs. Linux would likely do just as
| well were MS Office available for it.
| Likewise, if people did some research and
| found out that iWork and MS Office were
| available on Macintosh machines, I am
| willing to bet that Mac sales would
| escalate even higher. This isn't the first
| Microsoft product to fall flat on its face
| (the KIN sold, by some reports, only 500
| devices).
|
| KIN, Vista, ME, Bob, Zune, CE (never
| garnered more than 5% of the market), XP
| Tablet Edition
`----

http://elevenislouder.blogspot.com/2010/07/once-again-microsoft-has-product-that.html

Recent:

Microsoft's Sidekick restoration turns into farce

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft played spot the difference over the
| weekend with statements on Saturday and Sunday
| that hinted at âsteady progressâ for the
| recovery of data its Danger subsidiary lost for
| many Sidekick customers.
|
| [...]
|
| The fallout was huge and Microsoft scurried to
| paint a more optimistic picture for Dangerâs
| unhappy customers, at the same time some punters
| threatened legal action against Redmond and T-
| Mobile.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/19/microsoft_danger_sidekick_where_art_thou_data/

Document: Microsoft, T-Mobile sued over Sidekick data outage

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's a copy of one (PDF, 21 pages), filed on
| behalf of Maureen Thompson, a Georgia resident who
| experienced a "complete and catastrophic loss of
| all data on her daughter's Sidekick." The suit
| claims that the architecture of Danger's Sidekick
| data system contributed significantly to the
| problem.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2009/10/full_text_suit_against_microsoft_t-mobile_over_sidekick.html?ana=from_rss

Sidekick users share their horror stories

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10372826-56.html