[News] Oracle OpenOffice.org (OOOO) Gives Love to Linux/UNIX

  • Subject: [News] Oracle OpenOffice.org (OOOO) Gives Love to Linux/UNIX
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 16:06:38 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

OpenOffice goes GStreamer on Linux and Unix

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice is released under version 3 of
| the GNU Lesser General Public Licence
| (LGPLv3). The latest stable release of the
| OpenOffice open source office suite is
| version 3.2.1 from early June.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/OpenOffice-goes-GStreamer-on-Linux-and-Unix-1032706.html

Better multimedia support for OpenOffice.org on Unix systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Playing back audio and video content on
| Unix system was and is still a matter of
| choices.
|
| On the one hand, this is a good thing for
| the user. It offers a wide range of
| frameworks that best suit his/her needs.
| But on the other hand, this also brings a
| developer of a multi platform, general
| purpose Office productivity suite like
| OpenOffice.org (OOo) into the situation to
| make a choice. The choice needs to be made
| just to ensure that we don't have to
| provide a different backend for all
| multimedia frameworks that already exist.
| This just doesn't work for resource
| reasons. So, a framework needs to be
| chosen that meets the needs of a group of
| users as large as possible.
|
| [...]
|
| By choosing GStreamer as our favorite
| framework for an up to date multimedia
| backend, we hope to serve as much Linux
| and Solaris OpenOffice.org customers as
| best as possible. Creating this backend is
| also our answer to a lot of feedback we
| received from SOHO as well as enterprise
| customers in the past. Please have fun
| using this new multimedia solution and
| don't hesitate to give us feedback.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/better_multimedia_support_for_openoffice1

Microsoft Office vs. OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| Typing documents, use of spreadsheets and
| slideshows are essential tools in the life
| of almost every professional. The largest
| of the problems found in Microsoft Office
| according to the vast majority of users is
| its price, quite high in the opinion of
| many. This obligation on having to pay for
| an Office application suite has stimulated
| the development of OpenOffice, completely
| free and open source. Therefore, in
| addition to the constant improvement in
| its development, free version divides
| increasingly userâs opinion about who is
| the best. We put these two opponents in
| the ring and help you choose the champion!
|
| [...]
|
| We have pointed out some of the biggest
| arguments used by advocates of Microsoft
| Office and OpenOffice, in a battle in
| which by far the biggest winner is you.
| Competition creates the need for
| improvements and innovations in smaller
| timeframes, always with the userâs
| preference in focus. Do you have something
| to add about the applications mentioned?
| Be sure to participate and agitate for
| further dispute!
`----

http://www.software-latest.com/2010/06/30/microsoft-office-vs-openoffice.html

New: OOo-DEV 3.x Developer Snapshot (build DEV300m84) available

,----[ Quote ]
| Developer Snapshot OOo-Dev DEV300m84 is
| available for download.
|
| DEV300 is the development codeline for