[News] Simon Phipps' Attack on 'Open' Core Spurs Big Debate

  • Subject: [News] Simon Phipps' Attack on 'Open' Core Spurs Big Debate
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 16:03:22 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Simon Phipps: An Open Source Evangelist Forges On

,----[ Quote ]
| Simon Phipps is a man with a missionâ
| Well, a new mission. The former open
| source evangelist for Sun Microsystems has
| always been kind of missiony. His new
| cause: proving that "open source
| continuity" is a reality. His vehicle for
| that mission: ForgeRock, a company formed
| by erstwhile Sun execs to provide
| "reliable stewardship" for OpenSSO, an
| open-source access management and
| federation server platform.
|
| OpenSSO was a Sun-sponsored open-source
| project, the stewardship of which went to
| Oracle when it was acquired. But Big O has
| shown little interest in the technology.
| Earlier this year, the company declared
| that OpenSSO was "not strategic," and
| later removed OpenSSO Express as a
| download.
|
| Enter ForgeRock, which was founded in
| February by Lasse Andresen, former CTO of
| Sun's Europe, Middle East and Africa
| (EMEA) region, Herman Svoren, former Sun
| Sales exec (EMEA). Phipps joined the
| company in May.
`----

http://adtmag.com/blogs/watersworks/2010/06/suns-simon-phipps-forges-on.aspx

What lies beyond the open core debate?

,----[ Quote ]
| Simon Phipps rose to the challenge, in
| doing so also countering some recent
| statements in favor of the open core
| approach from Marten Mickos. While Simon
| makes some very valid points, and
| Compiereâs strategy was undeniably open
| core, it does not necessarily follow that
| all open core strategies are doomed to
| fail (as Jorg himself stated âexecution is
| everythingâ).
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2010/06/30/while-lies-beyond-the-open-core-debate/

Open Source Needs To Have An Unfair Advantage To Succeed

,----[ Quote ]
| Simon has some great points in his posting
| yesterday, reminding us all that the non-
| open features or services a company
| provides to its customers may lead to
| lock-in and reduction of freedoms for the
| customer. He also comments that open core
| businesses "stand to benefit massively"
| from this. It seems that he is arguing
| that this is a bad thing. My main point is
| the opposite: by having vendors in the
| open source space that benefit massively,
| we will have a stronger world of free and
| open source software (FOSS).
|
| To have many companies that benefit
| massively in the open source space, I
| believe we have to practice many different
| business models. What works for Red Hat
| may not work for MySQL and what works for
| MySQL may not work for MuleSoft, and so
| on. A number of open source companies are
| implementing so called phone home features
| and other essential benefits of the
| product that are predicated on an online
| connection to the vendor's web service.
| Because a web service is a service and not
| a piece of software that gets distributed,
| many FOSS enthusiasts forget that those
| services are from all practical
| standpoints as closed as closed source
| code.