[News] Cory Doctorow Moved from Macs to GNU/Linux, Other Linux Love Stories

  • Subject: [News] Cory Doctorow Moved from Macs to GNU/Linux, Other Linux Love Stories
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 17:11:28 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Cory Doctorow: What I Do

,----[ Quote ]
| Operating system: Iâm using Ubuntu, a version
| of the free and open GNU/Linux operating system
| that is designed to be easy to use and maintain
| for non-techy people. I was once a Unix
| sysadmin, but it has been a long time, and I
| wouldnât hire me to do it today. Ubuntu Just
| Works. I recently had cause to install Windows
| XP on an old ThinkPad and found that it was
| about a hundred times more complicated than
| getting Ubuntu running. When I transitioned to
| Ubuntu from the MacOS, I had a week or twoâs
| worth of disorientation, similar to what
| happened after we renovated the kitchen and
| changed where we kept everything. Then the OS
| just disappeared, and it has stayed
| disappeared, breaking in ways that are neither
| more severe nor more frequent than any other OS
| Iâve ever used.
`----

http://www.locusmag.com/Perspectives/2010/07/cory-doctorow-what-i-do/

My experience with GNU/Linux professionally and personally

,----[ Quote ]
| I am writing this out of my close
| association with GNU/Linux for quite
| sometime.I have had been using it everywhere
| to do my day to day work.
|
| First I have started or introduced to the
| UNIX system way back in 1996 during my
| Diploma classes.One day I was sitting in
| front of a blank and black terminal in the
| classroom ;so my instructor came to me and
| said " why are you sitting idle"...I replied
| back with a pretty confusing face that " I
| am not able to understand what to do with
| this(the black and blank terminal)..with
| small cursor blinking on it". My
| teacher/instructor smile at me(rightfully)
| and said " Bhaskar it is challenging you to
| play with it and waiting for your
| intervention"..that spark me!! From that day
| onward I fall in love with that fellow
| called "UNIX".Yes,it was SCO UNIX ..those
| days it was used in almost all the
| academia.Oh yes before that incident happen
| I was given a book or two about UNIX
| operating system and I went through them
| ..but little infer.
|
| [...]
|
| Basically corporate houses buy or run
| something which is quite stable and proven
| track record and should have paid
| support.The reason behind this is that
| business data are absolutely crucial to the
| business and which will fetch revenue with
| that.
|
| I had have the exposure of handling
| production box running RHEL(Enterprise
| version of REDHAT), SLES(SUSE Enterprise
| version),CentOS(derived from RHEL source)
| and to my surprise! Gentoo for one of my job
| assignment.And in the very same place Debian
| for hosting server.
`----

http://unixbhaskar.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-experience-with-gnulinux.html

A year from today Microsoft will lack a majority market share.

,----[ Quote ]
| In the past twelve months Windows market share went from 88.09% to 83.11%. The Windows
| XP product, which continues to hold the
| largest market share went from 69.74% to
| 49.95% of the total desktop operating system
| market share. The trend is showing as people
| divest from older Microsoft technologies,
| they do not âupgradeâ to Windows Vista or
| Windows 7.
|
| The next 12 months will bring a new breed of
| tablets and notebooks which will run  Ubuntu
| on ARM. These will sell like hot cakes so
| that people can watch Googleâs youtube and
| play games of Facebook. The desktop is over,
| even in the corporate sector.
`----

http://whatwillweuse.com/2010/06/30/a-year-from-today-microsoft-will-lack-a-majority-market-share/

Recent:

Why I won't buy an iPad (and think you shouldn't, either)

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/02/why-i-wont-buy-an-ipad-and-think-you-shouldnt-either.html