[News] New HPC, Mainframe, Server Evidence of GNU/Linux Omnipresence

  • Subject: [News] New HPC, Mainframe, Server Evidence of GNU/Linux Omnipresence
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 17:13:50 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Blowing The Doors Off HPC Speed-up Numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| My interest in benchmarking has a practical
| side for HPC. As everyone is well aware, the
| Linux HPC ecosystem changes rapidly with
| updated kernels (drivers), libraries (MPI),
| and applications. Early on, I would ask
| myself this questions, âWhat influence do
| these updates have on performance?â It is
| naive to think that all updates always lead
| to better performance. In order to
| quantitatively measure these changes, I put
| together what I called the Beowulf
| Performance Suite. My intention was not to
| create a benchmark, but rather a way to
| measure the effects of change.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7821/

Stayin' alive: Ten years of Linux on the mainframe

,----[ Quote ]
| It would be hard to find two technologies
| that would seem to be more diametrically
| opposed in the data center than the IBM
| mainframe and the open source Linux
| operating system. But the combination of the
| two, which then-IBM president and now IBM
| chairman and CEO Sam Palmisano championed
| (or more precisely, gets credit for
| championing within Big Blue regardless of
| whose idea it may have been), saved the
| System z mainframe business.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/29/ibm_mainframe_linux/

The Planet Launches New Virtual Server Product

,----[ Quote ]
| The new virtual server service uses the KVM
| â Kernel-based Virtual Machine software from
| The Linux Foundation, based on the Canonical
| Ubuntu Server.
`----

http://www.texastechpulse.com/the_planet_launches_new_virtual_server_product/s-0029504.html

Recent:

Linux Powers 91% Of The Worldâs Top 500 Fastest Supercomputers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/linux-powers-91-of-the-worlds-top-500-fastest-supercomputers.html