[News] Review of the $99 Linux Home Server/NAS, Linux Grows in "Smart Consumer Devices Market"

  • Subject: [News] Review of the $99 Linux Home Server/NAS, Linux Grows in "Smart Consumer Devices Market"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 18:30:48 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Review: $99 TonidoPlug Linux Home Server, NAS

,----[ Quote ]
| The TonidoPlug falls into a relatively new
| category of âwall-wartâ form factor
| computers. They are generally defined as
| being cheap, low on power consumption (in
| the single watts range) and fanless. Most
| plug computers, as they are also called, are
| based off of the Marvell SheevaPlug
| reference design. The difference between the
| TonidoPlug competitors like the Ctera
| CloudPlug, PogoPlug and Globalscale GuruPlug
| comes down to the bundled software and
| services. While they all essentially run on
| the same hardware, each has its own set of
| pre-installed applications in addition to
| services (some are paid) that do things like
| facilitate file and media sharing from
| outside the home network.
`----

http://paulstamatiou.com/review-99-tonidoplug-linux-home-server-nas

Panel: Smart consumer devices market to explode

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source software has also been maturing
| for the last decade, and now has passed
| Microsoft in keeping up with usage trends,
| according to Michael Kress, senior director
| at Canonical Ltd., a provider of support,
| engineering services and hardware and
| software certification for the Linux-variant
| Ubuntu.
|
| "We are taking the best of all the open
| source software available today and bringing
| it together into a single platform. Linux
| continues to evolve, coming out with a new
| version every six months, unlike Microsoft
| which is much slower to respond," said
| Kress. "We think that Linux is the oneâwith
| Android, Amigo and Ubuntu leading the smart
| devices revolution."
`----

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=225701638

Recent:

Intel's Moorestown Atom launches -- without Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Intel-Z6xx/?kc=rss