[News] Android/Linux is Winning at the Expense of Apple, Microsoft Lost

  • Subject: [News] Android/Linux is Winning at the Expense of Apple, Microsoft Lost
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 18:57:15 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Research: Androidâs Big Lead Over Apple In Free Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest numbers from mobile app store
| monitor Distimo show major differences in
| appsâ prices in Googleâs Android Market and
| Appleâs App Store. While the majority of
| apps on the Android Market are free, only
| about a quarter on the App Store are.
| Advantage Android or advantage App Store?
| Debatable. Consumers might prefer free apps,
| but developers want a marketplace where itâs
| commonplace to charge.
`----

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-research-apples-big-lead-over-android-in-free-apps/

Microsoft's past - the future to Android's iPhone victory

,----[ Quote ]
| The desktop market was won by Microsoft in
| large part because of its appeal to the
| broadest segment of the developer population
| â cue the Steve Ballmer fight song, complete
| with sweat stains and manic enthusiasm.
|
| In mobile, Microsoft is AWOL because it has
| failed to attract developers in meaningful
| numbers. Instead, Apple and now Google claim
| the biggest share of mobile developer
| mindshare.
|
| Why? Well, because of money, of course.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/02/android_winning_devs_against_iphone/

Apple Has ZERO Idea What Android Is

,----[ Quote ]
| So let's get this straight. According to
| Apple, Droid, Nokia, and RIM are all
| examples of phone categories. In referencing
| Android devices as Droids, Apple's PR
| department is showing a severe lack of
| understanding for the world of smartphones
| that they are claiming to be so
| authoritative in. Clearly having been sucked
| into Verizon's Droid Does campaign (pretty
| impressive on Verizon's part, if I might say
| so myself), Apple clearly doesn't "get" that
| Android is a platform that resides on over
| 60 devices worldwide.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/07/02/apple-idea-android/

Recent:

AdMobâs Final Mobile Metrics Report: Android Rising, But Apple Still Dominates Worldwide

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past two years, mobile ad impressions from smartphones
| have grown from 22 percent of the total to 46 percent in May,
| 2010.  Apple iOS devices account for the largest portion worldwide,
| with 40 percent share. But as you can see in the chart above,
| that share has been declining since it peaked above 50 percent
| in November, 2009.  Over that time, Android has been
| steadily taking share, rising to 26 percent.
`----

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/30/admob-android-apple/

A Little Over A Year Later, Android Is Unstoppable

,----[ Quote ]
| The more you look at Android today, the
| more you have to think back to the fact
| that early last year, people wondered
| whether Google's mobile operating system
| would even survive.  There were countless
| columns in March of 2009 trumpeting the
| fact that only one Android handset was
| shown at Mobile World Congress that year.
| Now, Android is spreading out far beyond
| just the many smartphones it appears on.
| This week, Cisco announced a new tablet
| based on the OS, and that's just one new
| direction for Android.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/a-little-over-a-year-later-android-is-unstoppable

Why do I use an Android phone?