[News] SaaS/Web is Dominated by Free Software/Linux

  • Subject: [News] SaaS/Web is Dominated by Free Software/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 19:36:34 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

IT in the Age of the Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| Cloud computing represents the rise of the
| Internet of services.  As digital
| technologies are increasingly penetrating
| every nook and cranny of the economy and
| society in general, we are seeing an
| explosion in the volume and variety of
| cloud-based services flowing through the
| Internet.  Consequently, the cloud computing
| model requires a highly disciplined approach
| to the management, delivery and consumption
| of services for individuals and companies.
`----

http://blog.irvingwb.com/blog/2010/07/the-it-organization-in-the-age-of-the-cloud.html

Overbite Project brings Gopher protocol to Android

,----[ Quote ]
| The Overbite Project is an open-source
| effort to produce browser plugins and client
| applications that enable support for Gopher,
| an early network protocol that preceded HTML
| and the contemporary World Wide Web. The
| lead developer behind the project is
| retrocomputing enthusiast Cameron Kaiser,
| one of the few remaining champions of
| gopherspace. His latest undertaking is a
| mobile Gopher client for Google's Android
| operating system.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/07/overbite-project-brings-gopher-protocol-to-android.ars

A tale of a tale of a shareable future, part 3: Apache Web Server conquers the world

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a moment, sometime near the end of
| the last century, when it rather suddenly
| became clear that Apache's web server was
| going to cement its position as the dominant
| webserver -- what the Web ran on. This meant
| that a loose nonprofit affiliation of
| moonlighting, largely unpaid volunteers had
| just massacred the giants of Silicon Valley
| -- Sun, Netscape, Microsoft -- on their own
| turf, on their central battleground, a space
| on which those corporate giants (I knew from
| reading their annual reports) had focussed
| their full attention and hundreds of
| millions of dollars.
`----

http://shareable.net/blog/a-tale-of-a-tale-of-a-shareable-future-part-3-apache-web-server-conquers-the-world

June 2010 Web Server Survey

,----[ Quote ]
| Global web server usage: The Apache server
| leads by some 55 percent share serving
| 112,663,533 web sites.
`----

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2010/06/16/june-2010-web-server-survey.html

Related:

Linux-Based Website Beats Windows-Based Sites

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux websites have better uptime and load faster than Windows-based
| websites. Research by WatchMouse, a website monitoring company, also
| shows that web server platform Apache outperforms the Microsoft IIS
| platform. Therefore, having a Linux website and an Apache web server
| platform offers the best choice for professional web pages.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070620/20070620005279.html?.v=1

December 2006 Security Space Survey Results

,----[ Quote ]
| Security Space estimates that nearly 90 percent of all Web sites
| are "orphans" to which no other sites link. Its Web server survey
| therefore counts only those servers referenced on other sites.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/stats/article.php/3652421

Apache is the big chief in the world of web servers

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/01/11/221090/apache-is-the-big-chief-in-the-world-of-web-servers.htm