[News] Push for Improving MySQL Support at Oracle

  • Subject: [News] Push for Improving MySQL Support at Oracle
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 19:38:42 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Oracle join SQLite Consortium

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle has announced that it has joined the
| SQLite Consortium. The move came, according the
| BerkeleyDB's Senior Product Manager Gregory
| Burd, "to show our commitment to the community
| which built SQLite and demonstrate our sincere
| desire to be a good citizen and partner".
| Oracle acquired Sleepycat Software, the makers
| of the open source BerkeleyDB, in 2006.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Oracle-join-SQLite-Consortium-1032460.html

Talking To Oracle About The MySQL Community

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently I was invited to go on the Oracle
| TechCast video show to talk about community
| within the context of MySQL.
|
| I was joined by Luke Kowalski, Oracle VP in
| the Corporate Architecture Group, and we
| discussed a range of topics. The primary
| message I took to the show was that (a) we
| should not pre-judge Oracle yet for their
| stewardship of the MySQL based on the fear
| of what could happen, but I also made it
| clear to Luke that (b) Oracle needs to make
| a firm commitment to acting within the
| culture and ethos of Open Source to have an
| effective, fulfilling relationship with the
| MySQL community.
`----

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/07/02/talking-to-oracle-about-the-mysql-community/

Open source backer appeals EU approval of Oracle-Sun merger

,----[ Quote ]
| Monty Widenius, a leading open-source
| software proponent, lodged an appeal on
| Friday against the European Union's
| antitrust authorities over their decision to
| green-light Oracle's acquisition of Sun
| Microsystems at the beginning of this year.
|
| The appeal was filed to the European Court
| of Justice in Luxembourg. Widenius was one
| of the co-developers of MySQL, the open
| source database software owned by Sun, and
| now by Oracle.
|
| The merger was completed on Jan. 27, just
| six days after the European Commission,
| Europe's top antitrust regulator, signed off
| on the deal. Widenius' appeal is not likely
| to have any bearing on the takeover itself,
| but may put pressure on the Commission for
| more transparency in its decision-making
| process.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9178825/Open_source_backer_appeals_EU_approval_of_Oracle_Sun_merger

SkySQL joins ranks of MySQL support providers

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL users now have another choice for
| support besides Oracle, which acquired the
| open-source database through its purchase of
| Sun Microsystems.
|
| SkySQL plans to offer "enterprise class
| support & services for the MySQL ecosystem,"
| according to its Web site. Its CEO is Ulf
| Sandberg, ex-senior vice president of global
| services at MySQL, and "all core members" of
| the company have also worked for MySQL.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/idg/2010-07-02/skysql-joins-ranks-of-mysql-support-providers.html

Open source database firms look to plug security gap

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source database vendors acknowledge
| insufficient third-party security tools is a
| concern but point out that more support from
| security companies and the open source
| community are imminent.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/open-source-database-firms-look-to-plug-security-gap-62201128.htm

Recent:

Profiting from open source -- without selling out

,----[ Quote ]
| Zack Urlocker, a board member and executive
| for several open source companies, points
| out the trade-off between the degree of
| sharing and revenue: "Apache has a great
| license model that enables the wide
| adoption of open source software, but there
| have been few significant businesses --
| none approaching even $100 million in
| revenue -- based on a permissive license
| model" such as Apache's.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9178579/Profiting_from_open_source_without_selling_out?taxonomyId=18&pageNumber=1

Twitter to open source MySQL-to-Hadoop tool

,----[ Quote ]
| Twitter intends to open source an
| additional piece of the Hadoop-happy
| infrastructure it uses for internal data
| analysis. Known as Crane, this is a tool
| for moving data from MySQL into Hadoop, the
| open source data-crunching platform based
| on Google's proprietary infrastructure.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/29/twitter_to_open_source_crane/

Oracle Releases MySQL Enterprise Upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Database/Oracle-Releases-MySQL-Enterprise-Upgrade-853315/