[News] GNOME Open Desktop Day is Approaching, Other GNOME News

  • Subject: [News] GNOME Open Desktop Day is Approaching, Other GNOME News
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 11:24:10 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The GNOME Open Desktop Day

,----[ Quote ]
| With the upcoming release of GNOME 3.0,
| software development interests will focus
| increasingly on improved user experience,
| accessibility and application use. While
| the GUADEC 2010 conference aims to prmote
| all of these ideals through the work of
| the GNOME Foundation, the GNOME Open
| Desktop Day will place important attention
| on the desktop in government and
| education.
`----

http://www.guadec.org/index.php/guadec/2010/schedConf/opendesktopday

Four Great Gnome Panel Applets

,----[ Quote ]
| Gnome is the most popular Linux desktop
| environment and one of it's key features
| that makes it so wonderful is the "gnome
| panel". For those unfamiliar the "gnome
| panel" is the bar that is typically
| located at the bottom (and top sometimes)
| of the screen where your menu, task-bar,
| and icon tray are located. If you have
| never done it, try right clicking on some
| blank space and click "add to panel". You
| will be presented with a list of applets
| you can add to the panel. While there are
| a good number to choose from by default,
| there are piles of other applets you can
| find online to install. The following is a
| list of my four favorites I use on my
| various Linux systems around my house.
`----

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/07/four-great-gnome-panel-applets.html

Mobile, desktop or cloud: Where does the future of open source lie?

,----[ Quote ]
| In the following Q&A, OSCON speaker and
| GNOME foundation executive director Stormy
| Peters discusses the risks of cloud
| computing, the continued importance of
| desktop computing, and the interesting
| relationship between new mobile form
| factors and free software adoption.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/07/mobile-desktop-or-cloud-where.html

Recent:

GNOME Training confirmed!

,----[ Quote ]
| A few days ago, I took the risk of setting
| off alarm bells on the GNOME developer
| training sessions planned for GUADEC this
| year. It was a risk, and comments from the
| naysayers reminded me that itâs easier to do
| nothing than it is to take a risk. Iâm happy
| to say that the risk paid off.
`----

http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2010/07/02/gnome-training-confirmed/

New module decisions for GNOME 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Following some lengthy discussions within
| the GNOME community, release manager
| Vincent Untz has published a summary of the
| new modules to be included in the next
| major release of the GNOME desktop
| environment for Linux and Unix. GNOME 3.0,
| scheduled to arrive in September of this
| year, will not include the GNOME Activity
| Journal, formerly known as GNOME Zeitgeist.
| The Activity Journal allows users to locate
| documents chronologically and supports
| tagging and relationships between groups of
| files. According to Untz, it will not be
| included because it "needs more integration
| with the rest of the desktop and the
| overall GNOME design; right now, it feels
| too much like a stand alone application."
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/New-module-decisions-for-GNOME-3-0-1018318.html

Clutter Advances In-Step With GNOME 3.0

,----[ Quote ]