[News] Examples of Areas Where Quality of Free Software on Par or Better Than Proprietary

  • Subject: [News] Examples of Areas Where Quality of Free Software on Par or Better Than Proprietary
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 13:53:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

OSS vs proprietary software quality and usage.

,----[ Quote ]
| In general I have found that, in terms of
| quality, number of bugs and ease of usage,
| there is no real difference between OSS
| and proprietary software. I know that many
| people will disagree. I also know that
| they disagree because they have a biased
| point of view. As these people are used to
| a particular piece of software, for
| example msoffice or photoshop, then the
| OSS equivalents, open office and gimp,
| seem to be inferior.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/oss-vs-proprietary-software-quality-and-usage-39815

Open Source: strategic software with economic value

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open Source Initiative has worked hard to
| show that open source software, which are
| products primarily known for offering access
| to software source code, can provide economic
| value and strategic advantages to business
| practices around the world.
|
| Twelve years ago, open source was implemented
| by software developers, and the importance of
| this non-proprietary software has only been
| compounded as open source developers and
| users have tailored their codes to truly
| evolve and grow as needed by individual
| companies and users.
|
| [...]
|
| According to the Open Source Initiative Web
| site, âthe prehistory of the Open Source
| Initiative includes the entire history of
| Unix, Internet free software, and the hacker
| culture.â While the hacker culture may have
| been the birthing place of open source,
| different companies, users and communities
| have come to heavily rely on open source for
| several reasons.
`----

http://www.latinobusinessreview.com/business-features/operations/open-source-strategic-software-economic-value

Recent: