Re: [News] Chrome Gains in Web Browsers Space

____/ Lusotec on Friday 09 Jul 2010 12:17 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Lusotec wrote:
>>>
>>> Compared to Firefox extensions, Chrome extensions are very limited in
>>> what they can do. This has advantages and disadvantages.
>>>
>>> The main advantage for Chrome (and disadvantage for Firefox) is increased
>>> security. A Firefox extension can do what any other native program can.
>>> This gives Firefox extensions enormous potential but has security
>>> consequences. With Firefox extensions, the only limitation is the
>>> developers imagination. This as resulted in some very impressive
>>> extensions.
>>>
>>> Chrome extensions are far more limited in their access to the system.
>>> They are very much like regular web pages with some integration in to the
>>> browser. This increases security but greatly decreases the freedom
>>> developer have in creating extensions.
>>
>> Mozilla audits extensions and sends them over https like a repo. That
>> oughtn't be a problem.
>
> No developer is perfect and no audit finds all bugs. Firefox extensions have
> much greater security implications than Chrome extensions, even if in
> practice the security impact is greatly minimized by Mozilla audits.
> Assuming, of course, that Firefox extensions are taken from the default
> Mozilla extensions sites and nowhere else.
>
> I use Firefox for all my browsing, with about 20 extensions for general
> browsing and Firefox customization. I have 30 more installed, used for
> specific purposes, mainly development, are only activated when needed.

Most of mine are de-activated too.

> I have some confidence in the security of these extensions and Firefox
> (otherwise I would not have installed them) but I still put Mandatory Access
> Control restrictions on Firefox (and especially Flash) because a piece of
> software so exposed to the Internet needs to be given a short leash.

I once had a bad experience with a plugin that crashed the Web browser (around 2007) and took hours to resolve.
I got it *not* from Mozilla's site.

- --

Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie