Re: Patent Extortion - Sign of Microsoft's Imminent Death

____/ Ender2070 on Thursday 23 Jun 2011 20:49 : \____

> On Jun 22, 10:25 pm, Mark S Bilk <m...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> The Microsoft Corporation, through one of its propaganda agents
>> (using the false identity "Hadron"), wrote:
>
> Very interesting msb_!!!
>
> Can you share the source of this info? This is big news, and very bad
> for Microsoft :)
>
>> And previously in this thread, the Microsoft Corporation, through
>> another
>> of its propaganda agents (using the false identity "Big Steel"),
>> wrote:
>>

> same thing here too, finally we got the book closed on these guys :)
>

>> Microsoft's goal is to rob the people of the world by means of
>> software
>> patents.
>
> Very different from their old goal "A computer on every desk and in
> every home [running Microsoft]"
>
> Now it seems to be "A patent on every program and in every home
> [paying Microsoft]" :D
>
>> It can't justify this practice -- note that none of its
>> even mention the subject -- so it resorts to multiple personal
>> attacks
>> instead.  Please remember, if you buy Microsoft products, or any
>> product containing Microsoft software, some of your money goes to
>> pay immoral people to publish these attacks.
>
> It would benefit us greatly if we could get these numbers too. More
> ammo to use against the Microsoft agents.
>

>> Patents are never supposed to be issued for works that are obvious,
>> yet the ideas and techniques covered by most software patents
>> _are_ obvious to skilled software programmers.  A famous example is
>> purchasing an item from a website by means of a single mouse click:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Click
>>
>> Here is more info on the great harm done by software patents --
>> which essentially make it very difficult for anyone to write
>> software unless they are employed by a huge corporation with
>> lots of lawyers (like, of course, Microsoft).  Because writing
>> any software involves creating ideas and techniques, and you
>> never know if they've been covered by any of the hundreds of
>> thousands of software patents that have already been issued.
>>
>> Software patents â Obstacles to software
>> developmenthttp://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/stallman-patents.html
>>
>> Fighting Software Patents - Singly and
>> Togetherhttp://www.gnu.org/philosophy/fighting-software-patents.html
>>
>> Roy Schestowitz' website -- much of it devoted to software
>> patentshttp://techrights.org
>>
>> Welcome back to COLA, Roy!
>
> Agreed. People are working against Canadians trying to bring this
> patent system there. We have software patents right now but it seems
> to require hardware to be tied to it.

It's the same trick as in Europe and NZ. But it they bring it to court you can prove it's
a bogus tie-up and have the patent invalidated. It's why those
who exploit the loophole will rarely use it in an actual lawsuits,
just extortion. If they sue, the patent can explode (plus legal costs).

- --