Re: Penguin Pete Debunks "Ease of Use" in GNU/Linux Myths

____/ Snit on Friday 01 Jul 2011 01:43 : \____

> Homer stated in post bibvd8-024.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx on 6/30/11 3:56 PM:

>>> ____/ Homer on Thursday 30 Jun 2011 21:32 : \____

>>> What if a school teaches your kid that dinosaurs lived with humans
>>> (for example)?
>>
>> My school taught me that an atom is a ball with electrons flying around
>> the outside of it in a linear fashion. That turned out to be inaccurate
>> too. Should I have launched a Jihad against all science because of that
>> fact?
>>
>> I can think of far more important things to worry about than the origin
>> of the species, whatever it may be. Presumably those Texan children get
>> taught to read, write and count, without Darwinism or Creationism being
>> a problem. If people choose to teach their children their beliefs, then
>> that's none of my business. Those children grow up eventually, discover
>> this miraculous thing called an opinion, and decide for themselves what
>> to believe in.
>
> I think it is important to teach science in school.  I find it sad you do
> not agree, but given your past admission that evidence and science are not
> important to the way you build your views (at least in some areas), I am not
> surprised.
>
>> I'm not going to persecute people for merely /having/ an
>> opinion, especially if the opinion has no detrimental effect on my life
>> whatsoever. They're not attacking me, so why should I attack them?
>
> People can have whatever opinions they want - but that does not give them
> the right to teach religion as science.

No, not "religion"... "intelligent design" (paint religion as a science)... the religious
dogma fund this lobby group, the Discovery Institute, to substitute real science
with bogus one. Similar to the way Microsoft pays front groups to pretend to
represent small businesses.

The situation in the UK is vastly different, so people don't appreciate that
it's a problem (globally). Heck, in the US, some schools will teach kids
that the Earth is 6,000 years old, that radiometric dating is a scam,
and diversity of species is "just a theory" (yeah, like gravity!).

- --