Re: Penguin Pete Debunks "Ease of Use" in GNU/Linux Myths

____/ Homer on Friday 01 Jul 2011 21:30 : \____

>> ____/ Homer on Friday 01 Jul 2011 20:28 : \____

>>> So they want textbooks that emphasise their beliefs ... just like you
>>> want articles that emphasise your belief in Free Software.
>>>
>>> I read the Guardian, not the Times. Does that make me a "revisionist"
>>> ... or a liberal?
>>
>> History is not about "beliefs" but about observations and analysis of
>> written records from the time; and for school children those books are
>> obligatory, they are not like choosing a newspaper.
>
> From what I've read of this dÃbÃcle, they're not /changing the facts/ in
> their textbooks, but merely changing the way those facts are presented.
> 1 + 1 will still equal 2, and Abraham Lincoln will still be the 16th
> President of the United States, but the tone of the textbooks will be
> altered to be more sympathetic with their beliefs. I don't sympathise
> with those beliefs, but equally I respect their right to have them. It's
> none of my business, I'm sure.

A lot of people in the US are in fact offended by the revisionism, and rightly so,
IMHO. The US would not be the first nation to adhere to what's comfortable (e.g.
whitewashing genocide of the Indians aka First People/Natives, slavery) rather
than what is true. Just as we dislike Microsoft rewriting history about its
crimes, those whose ancestors were brutally abused and murdered do not like
to see history rewritten.

>> Moreover, because Texas is such a large state when the publisher print
>> it for the Texas 'standard' all other states' kids (next generation)
>> receive
>
> Well then they should make their own textbooks and quit whining. It's
> their choice to rely on a Christian stronghold for textbooks, after all.
> States too incompetent to write their own textbooks should really pause
> to consider the irony of criticising others' textbooks.

Part of the revisionism is that the US was built on religious values when in fact
the very opposite is true. This is a Trojan horse for eradication of free-thinkers
and the defence they find in the Constitution. They are the largest growing group
of this kind and there are attempts to impede this awakening which would make
people more civilised.

>> the same disinformation.
>
> That presumes the content of these books is factually incorrect, rather
> than merely biased, which AFAICT is not the case.
>
>> Chuck Norris and other misguided minions
>
> It's his choice, so labelling him a "misguided minion" is rather petty.

Did you see what he labels people who don't have the same beliefs as him?

>> have flooded (by funding) Texan panels with religious zealots
>
> As opposed to militant atheist zealots who demand Christians stop being
> Christians?
>
>> who are unfit to decide on children's education.
>
> Are they any less qualified than you?

They are not possessing technical qualifications to teach and make these decisions. Look it
up, it has been shown and documented. It's like those drones Microsoft sent
to send for voting in favour of OOXML. These are pawns.

> So how many children do you have, then?

None, but you and I were both kids many moons ago.

>> Not only are they not professionally qualified but they also think there
>> was a Great Flood and other such lunacy.
>
> There's certainly a great flood of lunacy, although most of it seems to
> be coming from frothing anti-religious militant atheists, AFAICT.

Lunacy? No. Who are those "militant atheists" you refer to?

- --