Re: So where did the first one come from?

____/ Tillerman on Saturday 02 Jul 2011 19:08 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> ____/ Tillerman on Saturday 02 Jul 2011 10:24 : \____

>>> God, supreme being, alien,etc always existed....
>>> See how evolution goes down the tubes?
>>
>> None of these exists, at last based on evidence. If you prove otherwise, then
>> the argument can be inverted. But to disprove the existence of something
>> whose existence was never proven would be ludicrous.
>
> But yet science can't explain it either so both arguments have no
> answer.

Science cannot prove there is no elephant under my bed, either. But there is no
reason we should therefore assume it to be true.

>>> No matter how you slice it, someone, something has always been there to
>>> make all the other stuff happen.
>>
>> Yes, the speed of life, forces of gravity, etc. If you want to call these
>> "God", then it's the Einsteinian God and merely a metaphor for physics.
>
> Matter can not be created nor destroyed.
> That's a scientific principle.
>
> So the only explanation is, that matter always existed.
>
> The same could be said of a "God".

If you call "God" a bunch of random matter, then you probably think of it as a concept --
one that corresponds not to deity but to nature.

> One thing science ignores is purpose.
>
> What is our purpose?

What is Saturn's purpose? What is purpose?

> Why is the universe so perfect?

It's not, it's atrocious. We are only evolved to live in one little corner of it.

> Science as we know it isn't perfect, yet the universe is.
> Many very famous scientists believe in God or a supreme being.
> It's not neceesarily a religious thing.

Maybe the ancient scientists, to whom the times and the evidence were not
right. We have made progress since then, partly owing to their work.

>>> It doesn't matter if you take the scientific approach or the religious
>>> approach, something, someone has always been there.
>>
>> What is the difference between something and a someone?
>
> A purpose, a soul, a meaning....
> Why do humans have a "soul" and animals apparently see to not and are
> based upon survival totally?

Do germs have souls too? Seriously, the answer to this question is important.

> Why didn't all the animals evolve?

This question implies you do not understand evolution and may enjoy a
book on the subject.

> Where is the issing link?

To what? We found many "missing" links, where by missing we means pieces of the puzzles we
expect to have and have not found yet (although when we finally find them we still call them
"the missing links"). These are evidence /for/ evolution, not against it.

> A thigh bone found in the middle of Africa hardly explains these
> theories.

No, a fossil of an entire animal (now in Norway). Well preserved one, too...

> There are a  lot of unanswered questions.

Right. Because people do not pretend to know everything by saying "God" did
everything. They continue to publish with peers' scrutiny, gather hypothses,
and match to evidence.

> I think we should just agree to disagree because this topic could
> overflow the Internet!
> One interesting point that another person made and I subscribe to is
> that I don't expect others to think like I do nor do I attack them
> because they don't let's say believe in God. We all have our personal
> beliefs and I respect the beliefs of others.
> Hope you have a wonderful weekend! I plan to!

Thanks, no hard feelings at all.

- --